Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Wild Indonesia Development

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by ZooBoyNZ, 25 Apr 2017.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There were also early plans to import Crab-eating macaques and lutungs. It’s a shame nothing ever came of these.

Kifaru Bwana, driftaguy and Tafin like this.
  2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Very good review and really nice pics of it all!

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Perhaps they should and can rethink and break the general trend in the Antipodes.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. Zoofan15

Auckland Zoo are receiving two female Bornean orangutans in 2021:
    I’m stoked new imports will be happening so soon, as I was under the impression from staff they would be several years away. It’s great to see Auckland Zoo taking steps to restart the Bornean orangutan breeding programme. This import will take their population of this species to 1.3; plus the hybrid female, Wanita.

The new females are named Naninka (born 1987 approx) and Cantik (born December 2011).

Jambo, ZooBoyNZ, ZooNZ and 2 others like this.
  5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Some backstory to these two orangs:

In year 1989, two imported young orangs were bought from an animal dealer, by a production company who was filming a Czech comedy movie "Dva lidi v zoo" (two people in zoo). Zoo Ústí was chosen to keep them in mandatory quarantine after import from Asia and the zoo area served as scenery during filming of the movie. Those orangs were too young and in bad shape and goverment started to investigate about their origin and found they had fake documents from Cambodian zoo so they were confiscated. They remained in Ústí zoo, however this development was a surprise for the zoo, they had no dedicated space for them and also in later years, their accomodation was always rather cramped and no longer acceptable.

Two orangs were a male and female and got names Ňuňák and Ňuninka. (ňu ňu is not a real word or name in Czech, it is an expression people use when they fawn over something young and cute and adorable, like a baby or kitten). After they grew up, they bred 5 times. Two youngsters didn´t survive. One male Ámos now lives in Apenheul and one male Budi moved to Cologne zoo. Ňuňák died 2 years ago due to cancer.

Jambo, ZooNZ, Cassidy Casuar and 4 others like this.
  6. ZooNZ

ZooNZ Active Member 5+ year member

Welp, to anyone wondering how long it is going to take for this Jungle Track to be completed, here you go: "Like our lowlands habitat for Sumatran tigers and Asian small-clawed otters, the impacts of Covid-19 mean the swamp forest habitat is going to take longer to complete than originally anticipated and will now open in summer 2021-22."

Thoughts?

Full article: Transporting you to tropical Sumatra

Jambo likes this.
  7. Zoofan15

That’s ridiculous. Especially bearing in mind the original time frame was:

Christmas 2019 - New cafe and function venue

Summer 2020 - the high canopy, home to primates

Winter 2020 - the lowlands, home to tigers and otters

Spring 2020 - the river's edge tropical dome, home to crocodile, fish and other reptiles

I think we’d all realised that the tropical dome wouldn’t be ready Spring 2020 (i.e. now), but to say it’s been delayed until Summer 2022 means it’s been pushed back 15-17 months.

Even without the convenient excuse of Covid, the high canopy opening was delayed by two months, so I doubt we’ll see the tropical dome open until at least June 2022. You heard it here first.

Jambo, ZooBoyNZ, Tafin and 3 others like this.
  8. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think it’s very sad that, due to draconian import regulations, there will probably be no birds in this exhibit. Maybe they should make the effort to access some of the species that are still present in NZ aviculture?

9. Zoofan15

As far as I’m aware, there are no bird species planned for the entire South East Asian precinct. While the general public likely won’t notice (or miss) their absence, I agree it’d be a nice compliment to the many mammals, reptiles and fish that will be on display. It would greatly enhance the concept of an ecosystem.

Looking through a list of South East Asian birds, I’m sure there must be some doves or buttonquail species at least. Several people have commented about the unused spaces throughout the first phase of the precinct (the canopy), which I agree is one of it’s few flaws. An aviary would be an ideal addition.

10. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They could manage at least Blue Peafowl, ‘lookalike’ Red Junglefowl (ie bantams that are near enough to RJF), Mandarin Ducks, Chinese Painted Quail, and yes, maybe Spotted Doves, Red Turtledoves, Plumhead Parrakeets, probably some Asian finch species like maybe Spotted Munia? Silver Pheasants and Common Mynahs would fit, and they might be able to source a lory or lorikeet species.

StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Given the Silent Forest campaign (for conservation of SE Asian song bird crisis), a real bummer.

StoppableSan and Cassidy Casuar like this.
  12. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Antoine and Zorro like this.
  13. Zoofan15

In addition to the False gharial, Auckland Zoo were originally aiming to import these species:

Southern river terrapin
    Northern river terrapin
    Painted terrapin
    Amboina box turtle
    Giant Asian pond turtle
    Spiny turtle
    Sulawesi forest turtle
    Malaysian giant turtle
    Asian forest turtle

https://www.epa.govt.nz/assets/File...PP203434-APP203434-Application-form-FINAL.pdf

Tafin and Antoine like this.
  14. Jambo

The exact species of turtles and tortoises weren't mentioned, but I presume they would be some of those from your list. I guess we’ll have to wait until it opens to find out. :)

15. Zoofan15

I will visit again when the next phase - the lowlands (tigers and otters) is open. I suspect this will be at least six to nine months away however, if the tropical dome is still around 15 months from completion. They also need to import their new pair of Sumatran tigers, which I was told by staff on my last visit are likely coming from the USA next year. Like many things, their import has been delayed by Covid.

Tafin, Zorro and Jambo like this.
  16. Jambo

Ok cool. :cool: I think Covid-19 will have affected some of the imports of the species of turtles and tortoises that you mentioned. I wouldn’t be surprised if not all of them were part of the Moonsoon dome.

17. Zoofan15

Agreed, especially since other species (including monkeys) were canned even prior to Covid.

Note to Auckland Zoo: Give us back the macaques (and a bird species or too); and you can take away your 'jungle track' pathway we need gumboots to wade through after a few drops of rain. :p

Jungle Man, Tafin and Jambo like this.
  18. Jambo

You’re absolutely right. I hate how zoos these days prefer to spend their money on useless areas that no one even uses. :rolleyes: The tracks near Willow Island were not used for many years before the Wild Indonesia construction began, it was about right that they got rid of them.

btw, which Jungle track do you speak of?

19. Zoofan15

It's the white aggregate ground cover they put on the pathway. Like I said, I think someone was trying to be clever; but the final product is a substrate that turns to a paste after it's been raining. My shoes were covered in it by the end of the day. I'm sure parents will love their kids traipsing it through their cars and houses. Why leave merely with memories and photos; when you can take part of the jungle track home with you? :p

Last edited: 16 Oct 2020
    Tafin, Zorro and Jambo like this.
  20. Jambo

Ah that would be why I have never seen the track before. When I was younger, I had to be careful with what days we visited the Zoo because on wet days 90% of the paths at Melbourne would turn into absolute sludge, and that would ban me from seeing anything aside from the plush animals at the Gift Shop window. :p

Zoofan15 likes this.