Join our zoo community

Auckland Zoo Wild Indonesia Development

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by ZooBoyNZ, 25 Apr 2017.

1. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

A detailed update about the new lowlands habitat for the tigers and otters. The zoo will be acquiring a young pair (1.1) of Sumatran tigers in the near future with the intention of breeding. The zoo have almost completed the new viewing areas for the tigers and will now begin the plantings.
    Auckland Zoo

2. ZooNZ

ZooNZ Active Member 5+ year member

Yea so it seems like the lowland will open around the same time as the tropical dome now, which is understandable with importing new tigers. However, still frustrating.

Tafin and Zoofan15 like this.
  3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree both will likely open in early to mid 2022.

Arriving next year are the two new female Bornean orangutans. On their Facebook page, the zoo mentioned the orangutans will be allowed access to the high ropes going across the lake in the coming weeks. It will be amazing to see their growing colony brachiating 25 metres above the ground and across the central lake.

View across the lake (to tropical dome):
    Concept art for tropical dome:

driftaguy, Jambo and Tafin like this.
  4. Tafin

Tafin Well-Known Member

Will the orangs all be on display together?

5. Zoofan15

That would be ideal as managing a colony where everyone gets along is a hell of a lot easier than separating them into multiple smaller groups. The simplest introduction will be of Charlie to the two new females; who would then be joined by Melur. She’s a placid, submissive female who’s unlikely to throw up any problems.

Wanita will be the issue. She has a short fuse and is unpredictable. Since she’s not part of the breeding programme (surplus hybrid) and has no real attachment to Charlie or Melur. They may decide to relocate her if she’s the obstacle to having a cohesive group; however the size of the exhibit combined with the high ropes configurations means they can manage multiple groups if they’re happy to do so.

driftaguy, Jambo and Tafin like this.
  6. ZooNZ

ZooNZ Active Member 5+ year member

When did they reveal that two new female Bornean orangutans were arriving next year? I must have missed the news

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. WhistlingKite24

@ZooNZ It hasn't been announced by Auckland as far as I know. The information was sourced from Zoo Usti (Czech Republic). From the relevant section of the news thread:
    Zoo Usti nad Labem General News [ZOO Ústí nad Labem]

Jambo, driftaguy, ZooNZ and 2 others like this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope they send out hybrid orang Wanita to another hybrid holding institution in Australia in order to have a cohesive breeding group of Bornean orang on site. I suspect that Auckland will be part part of the European EEP combined (Australia mainly maintaining Sumatran orang) or at least a good cooperation between them.

Tafin, Zoofan15 and Zorro like this.
  9. Zoofan15

I agree. They should designate one holding facility in the region to take the 1.4 hybrids. This will allow Auckland and Melbourne to focus on holding purebred colonies.
    There’s more in depth discussions on this in the Great Apes Aus/NZ forum and I don’t wanna get us too off track here, but I can actually see others zoo in the region shifting to holding Bornean orangutan. There’s several signs of the regional Sumatran orangutan breeding programme stagnating including no infants born for almost a decade and zoos wavering in their commitment to obtain them - Orana never imported in 2017 as planned; Melbourne Zoo have reduced their colony to a single male and don’t appear to be importing a female anytime soon. This all coincided with Auckland Zoo making the decision to switch, so maybe talks occurred at the regional level and others will follow.

Jungle Man, Jambo, Tafin and 2 others like this.
  10. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

I think thats incredibly unlikely for the simple reason that it would be an entirely pointless exercise. Both species look more or less identical and both are critically endangered. Phasing out one for the other makes no sense. Which I think is probably why Auckland decided to maintain their Borneans - given orangs slow reproductive rate and longevity, it really makes little difference if New Zealand trade animals with Australia or anywhere else in the world. Imports will be few and far between to maintain a viable colony there.

What makes you think Australian zoos are wavering in their commitment to orangutans?

11. Zoofan15

The decision made for Auckland Zoo to return to holding Bornean orangutan was made because they have become critically endangered since the decision was made to switch to Sumatran orangutan. There are around 105,000 wild Bornean orangutan; compared to < 14,000 wild Sumatran orangutan. Perhaps realistically speaking, there’s more that can be done to stabilise the Bornean population? Perhaps the captive Bornean population is in better shape genetically? Perhaps they’re predicting more chances of input from wild genetics? Who knows? It’s pointless for those of us not involved in the decision making process to even try and guess.
    Read the post you’re quoting. Where do I say orangutans? I said SUMATRAN orangutans. This is based on the following:

- Orana Wildlife Park appear to have canned their plans to import Sumatran orangutans (they were supposed to arrive three years ago).

- Auckland Zoo have cancelled their plans to import Sumatran orangutans.

- Perth Zoo have downsized their colony and haven’t bred in almost a decade.

- Melbourne Zoo have reduced their colony to a single male; made no move to import; and haven’t bred in a decade.

- Adelaide Zoo have made no move to replace their breeding female who died nearly four years ago.

What makes you think this breeding programme is business as usual?

12. toothlessjaws

So why are you guessing?

I can read just fine. I simply used the word "orangutans" since thats the only species they keep in Australia. If they are wavering on sumatran orangutans, they are wavering on orangutans.

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  13. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are actually fewer than 55,000 Bornean orangutans remaining :(

As for the rest of this discussion, while I do not know the entire circumstance surrounding this, it sounds perfectly sensible to say that Australian zoos are wavering in their commitment to orangutans if all the orangutans in Australia are Sumatran...
    So what might be possible explanations for this?

14. Zoofan15

I wasn’t. I was making an observation on a trend (Post #149). Again, read the posts...
    Not if they switch to Bornean.
    Orangutans (Bornean and Sumatran) might not be as engaging to visitors as an active troop of chimpanzees; but their conservation status and unique charisma will surely guarantee their future in many of the region’s zoos. Whether the Australian zoos stick with Sumatran orangutan (or some phase them out for Bornean like I’ve predicted) remains to be seen.

15. toothlessjaws

You were initially making an observation (not much happening in Australia with orangutans), but then followed that with a speculation as to what this might mean (might want to phase out Sumatrans for Borneans).

However after I questioned your conclusion, you wrote:

Which is effectively arguing that others don't have a right to do precisely what you have just done yourself, which is engage in speculation.

I think you and I will get along much better when you accept that you are not the only person capable of critical thinking.

16. Zoofan15

Tropical Dome (Progress Comparison)

Six months on from my last visit, it’s great to see how much progress they’ve made on the construction of the tropical dome (scheduled to open in 2022). I’m so excited Auckland Zoo will soon have a False gharial!

July 2020:

January 2021:

January 2021:

17. WhistlingKite24

Auckland Zoo have released a 20-minute video outlining the steps the zoo took to create the orangutan/siamang habitats for the South-east Asia Jungle Track. It particularly focusses on horticulture and design. I didn't place it in the 2021 news thread as it focuses mainly on the developments that occurred during the 2019 construction period and opening the exhibits in 2020.

Source: Auckland Zoo’s YouTube channel

Zoofan15, Jambo, Zorro and 1 other person like this.
  18. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Amazing and outstanding! Hats off to Auckland zoo :)

Zoofan15 likes this.
  19. Zoofan15

South East Asian Precinct Update

Explore more of our new Jungle Track this summer! | Auckland Zoo News

This summer Zoo visitors can look forward to exploring more of our developing South East Asia Jungle Track, that’s seen some exciting progress since late September when construction could recommence in Auckland at Alert Level 3.

Click on link for photos.

Last edited by a moderator: 28 Oct 2021
    Zorro and WalkingAgnatha like this.