Join our zoo community

Bristol Zoo Project Wild Place Project News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zooreviewsuk, 26 Jan 2018.

1. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

pipaluk likes this.
  2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Originally Wild Place was planned to contain several geographically themed areas, 'Europe' was one I believe. Due to financial constraints the reality has seen a more random development with (so far) more species from Africa than anywhere else, though that may just be coincidental. Perhaps the current planned development is an attempt to create at least one of the geographically-themed areas from the original concept. IMO they potentially have one of the best sites in the UK for a major collection- both the grounds and accessability.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2018
    TNT and FunkyGibbon like this.
  3. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I’d add that they also have some of the best zoo people in the country leading the whole thing, so the future really should be very bright indeed.

Pertinax and pipaluk like this.
  4. Clunes

Clunes Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Agreed. It's a huge site with great access. They're off to a promising start. It would be good if they moved the Asiatic Iions from Bristol Zoo to a larger enclosure at WP but I don't know what 'headliner' they would replace them with.

The original plans had a huge Savannah area on the lower part of the site and I wonder if these original plans have now been scrapped. In total the original plans were due to include Congo tropical forest, Sumatra rainforest, Indian Ocean coral reef, British ancient woodland, Tanzania savannah, British habitats, Georgia wetlands and a Costa Rica swamp house.

It would be great to have a huge aviary similar to the Snowden at ZSL over part of one of the woods with a mixture of birds and mammals within. I haven't given enough thought to what I would like to see though.

TNT and 14556 like this.
  5. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Replace Lions with Koala?

TNT likes this.
  6. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bristol could get koala anyway without losing the Lions! I suggest after the European mammals, tiger then Rhino. I think a few more cheaply accommodated mammals & birds should follow too. Reptiles etc at least 10 years away!

7. Clunes

Clunes Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When replacing the Lions was discussed on the Bristol thread a little while back I actually suggested Koala at the time, however there were comments that the availability and therefore the cost of Browse might make Koala prohibitive.

I’m a sucker for weird Australian creatures and wondered if the Lion enclosure could house Koala, Wombat and maybe something else together? Outside of Oz I’ve only ever seen Koala in Vienna, although I will be in San
    Diego in 2 weeks time... it would be a real coup
    for Bristol if affordable. Im also not sure it fits in with their conservation message.

There will be a ready made Lion enclosure at WP when the Wolves move. Having said that, maybe the fencing might need some alterations.

On a different note, given they’ve done such a good job on theming some of the enclosure, most notably the Geladas, does anyone else find the Cheetah enclosure really uninspiring? Not even one tree for shade

8. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes. I think a real or mock rock (kopje) is needed plus an acacia species.

I think that WP really needs a Lion pride and also an indoor or covered area (not heated necessarily) for families.

I really like this place but wish they'd accept Paignton membership. I always buy food n drink and contribute when using it elsewhere.

Marwell also have the space for one massive exhibit of antelope - imagine that field with the tower full of Sable, Roan, Impala, Tommy Gazelle and Waterbuck? Wow!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Koalas and wombats would be such a dull first exhibit (yes I know that the drills and flamingoes are probably the 'actual' first exhibits). While both are interesting species they spend an extraordinarily large amount of time asleep.

10. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No! I can't imagine Bristol without lions and I have no doubt that the Bristol enclosure is perfectly adequate for two adults (+ cubs again one day perhaps). Lions may be larger than koalas, but they are almost as lazy. Remember that Bristol attracts many families with young children, the Zoo needs to keep a few large headline species to draw them in. Koalas could be a nice addition and would only need a relatively small space.
    That doesn't stop Wild Place from keeping lions, but they might prefer to get tigers eventually.

Crowthorne and pipaluk like this.
  11. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bristol could retain Asian Lions and Wildplace have African?
    I would agree Koalas are no substitute for Lions.

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very much a flagship species for the Zoo still, and with the Gorillas and Hippo/Fur Seal, among the few larger mammals still kept. We know they are quite indolent and the enclosure is reasonably spacious but there's still a fair amount of critisism from general visitors about them being there on their FB page, it comes up time and time again. I think if they left there would be a 50/50 split among their visitors as to whether it was a good or bad thing.

13. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

A rainforest section remains firmly in the long term plans. It will be built on the exit of woodland around the back of the meadow and abbey.

14. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

What species are planned for the rainforest section?

15. Zooreviewsuk

There will be an Inside Tropical house to represent Costa Rican Rainforests, plus some outside exhibits. 6 in total. I believe this is due to be build in 2020 after the Woodlands are finished and should be open to the public in 2021.

The plans as far as I know include;

American Crocodiles
    Capuchins
    Ocelots
    Sloths
    Toucans
    Coati's

There was original talk of Manatee's, but I believe that has now been scrapped.

Kifaru Bwana and TNT like this.
  16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I would be very interested to hear your source for this, given the extreme unlikelihood of one species cited.

Brum likes this.
  17. Zooreviewsuk

Went there on an experience day last year and was talking about future builds and I was told they were planning 4 more themed areas over the next ten years , they outlined the woodlands as the next then rainforest, followed by an Indian themed area and then a Himalaya themed area.

I asked the likely species and those were what was said, what of those 6 species would be unlikely ? As all are held in the UK at present?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

American Crocodile are a) not in UK collections at present and b) not being granted export permits to Europe.

19. Zooreviewsuk

Crocodiles of the world definitely have two

Sure Thrigby have one as well.

20. Welsh Zootographer

Welsh Zootographer Well-Known Member

Crocodiles of the World have two American Alligators (Alligator Mississippiensis) not American Crocodile (Crocodylus Acutus).