Join our zoo community

Knowsley Safari Park WildArena

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by karoocheetah, 8 Sep 2011.

1. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

I'm doing the WildArena photo safari at Knowsley on saturday - anyone else from here going?

:)

2. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

No, but watch out for a PURPLE Rhino! :p

Is this just done from the 'walk around areas', or do you get in a jeep and get out in the main park also?

3. karoocheetah

The itinerary shows walk round am with lots of time with the ellies and hopefully they get to wallow.
    pm into park where we can get out and up to the fence with tigers and dogs etc then into rangers vehicles for the lions up close and personal in the den area too I think - not sure - will let you know when I've done it :O)

4. karoocheetah

OK update time...
    The Wildarena photosafari was fantastic - I had such a great time with fabulous access opportunities.
    The day starts with a 09.30 arrival, refreshment and briefing (sign a disclaimer in case you get eaten kind of thing!) then we had a brief run down of the timings for the day and we were out into 2 Land Rovers for our 1st photo opportunity which was a visit to the Tigers and African Hunting Dogs - we were allowed out of the vehicles and up to the fences with keepers and managers present at all times - following instruction about what to do if the Tigers decided to come right up the the fence and investigate us (step back basically and let them move on) - we were given free reign to photograph and ask questions - the Tiger sisters were impecably behaved with Bira coming over for a nosey at us a few times - they were quite active since they had just woken up. The keeper then called the Hunting dogs across so we could see them and it was great to see all 4 interacting, yipping excitedly as they bailed out of their den and wandered across to look at the people on the other side of the fence!
    After everyone got the images they wanted we jumped back into the landies and heading into the lion enclosure - here we were given very strict rules about actions and reactions considering we had permission to have our windows down to allow for clear photography - basically if you don't break the outline of the vehicle by sticking your lens out of the window the lions tend to ignore you (not easy with a 500mm lens on the front of your camera I hasten to add) anyway - with keepers vehicles flanking us and everyone alert for curious lion approaches (when they get too close the windows go back up) we spent ages watching them interact and tussle as they had just been let into the enclosure from their night den and were quite awake - indeed as we watched one of the younger lions proceeded to leap up into the nearest tree and drap themselves in the V of the brach - marvellous to see as even though I'm a freqent visitor to KSP I have never seen the lions climb the trees, makes for an interesting photo if not at a difficult angle.
    Next we headed back the wrong way round the park (benefits of special access) to the Giraffes where we fed the brothers (Oliver & Rigsby) some willow browse and got lots of lovely close up images as well as finding out just how strong an adult giraffe is when they are trying to strip the leaves from the branches you are holding, again once everyone is happy we then visited the meerkats and the otters - meerkats first and with some encouragement from the staff we fed them and engaged them in 'meerkat races' which results in some great images of a pack of Meerkats hurtling towards the camera - they are a great little animal when you get to interact with them in this fashion. The otters were equally as engaging, swimming and exhibiting 'nesting' behaviour by taking huge clumps of grass to the back of the den - I've never seen that before either - they younger animal of the two is also rather adept at catching water snails and appears to relish munching them.
    Back to the staff area for lunch (very tasty sandwiches, bowls of fresh hot chips and as much tea, coffee and biscuits as you can wolf down) during lunch the heavens opened - the first rain we'd seen in the day and luckily it ceased as we headed off for the afternoon events - first stop down to the African Elelphants and we were standing under the viewing platform cover as another small squall blew across - this passed as soon as it arrived and proved to be the last bit of rain for the day luckily - It was great to see all of the ellies out on the paddock, Nissim the bull has his 'braclets' on as they have been readying him for his trip to Sweden (as reported elsewhere in this forum he is being swapped out for another bull who is less likely to be dominated by the females - Nissim has been at Knowsley since he was young and although his mother is not here the females appear to view him as a youngster and he has difficulting exherting his dominance as a bull should - something that will stop with his 'new' herd when his is introduced as a grown male)- Nissim's departure looks likely to be delayed though as the weather conditions over the coming weeks are not ideal for a sea journey and they will obviously not risk moving him until everything is ideal for it.
    From the Ellies we headed out into the park towards the Baboons where a keeper was waiting for us ready with their afternoon feed to bring the troup nice and close for us to get unfettered access to - we decamped from our vehicles and were allowed right up to the fence - electricity turned off so we didn't get a shock as were moved in for some incredible close up photo opportunities - it's amazing to watch their interaction from such close quarters and see how they use posturing and some incredible facial espressions to communicate with each other - their eyebrow language is very interesting to watch. I have no idea how much time we spent watching and photographing them as I was having a whale of a time - the landscape certainly dissapoint either as the moody skies made some more wide angle photography very appealing. From here we boarded our trusty land rovers and headed into the park to see the hoofed stock and of course the Rhinos - all of which were out on the paddock inclding the Male - the Knowsley Crash is certainly impressive and the speed at which they can move was certainly witnessed as the Male Calf was in real high spirits and 'galumphed' around happily mock charging all of the adults (much to the annoyance of the Adult Bull) and even our vehicle (remarkably scary in truth and the only time that our veehicle went totally quiet as we realised we'd just been charged by a rhino - even a small one could have made it a very bad day if he'd have meant it).
    The day wrapped up around 5pm and a group of 8 very happy photographers said their thank yous and goodbyes with huge grins on their faces!
    I must add that the WildArena staff provided helpful one on one photographic help and advice to anyone who wanted it and gave hints an tips at all times - the group had a totally mixed level of experience photography wise from a true total beginner (with a new camera for the day) to more experienced (I suppose I'd count myself in that group really) and with a huge range of kit too. Wildarena also have spare cameras available should the unthinkable happen so you could borrow equipment if you had a disaster and we also had chargers and electricity available at lunch again should they be needed.

I had a really fabulous day, this being my first Wildarena event and I can assure you that it certainly will not be my last.
    Check out their website and see the kind of things on offer for the keen wildlife photographer and remember you really do get very special treatment and first class service all of the way!

5. bluetoffeezoo

bluetoffeezoo Well-Known Member

sounds awesome glad you had a fab day x

6. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Should read more carefully, I thought you were hoping to wallow! ;)

7. karoocheetah

I was prepared to give it a bash if the weather had changed! :D

8. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sounds superb, I think I'll give it a try.
    Looking forward to seeing some of your photographs! :)

9. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

I saw you lot on saturday as I was driving out the park by the Otters, some of you do have big zooms!:eek:!

It sounds like a great day for any photograher let alone one who likes animals so much.

I too saw Nissim on Sunday with his ankle braclets/chains on
    and the lorry and crate/transport box are now their waiting for him and the weather I guess, so it should be sooner rather than later. Will miss seeing him ambeling around, always looks like he walks with a casual dance compared to the others their. However a new bull will bring a new era and hopefully he can successfully mate with the females in time.