Join our zoo community

Wildlife conservation society masterplan

Discussion in 'United States' started by kiang, 3 Jan 2010.

Tags:
  1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The WCS has released details of a masterplan to include all 5 parks in the New York area, owned by the WCS.
    Highlights include:

A massive Safari Adventure exhibit at the Bronx Zoo, where visitors will be able to experience what it's like to go on an African safari, with the help of a ā€œ4-Dā€ theater that will offer movie watchers the added dimension of smells and other sensory elements.

A $100 million initiative to transform the New York Aquarium in Coney Island. The city is paying for roughly $65 million of the cost for the redevelopment, dubbed A Sea Change at the New York Aquarium, which will include a new Ocean Wonders exhibit featuring new shark tanks, a completely new Conservation Hall, a refurbished Aquatheater and a new exterior connecting the aquarium with the ocean.

A new jaguar exhibit at the Queens Zoo, marking the first time the endangered wildcats will be shown in a local park. The zoo hopes to start building it by late spring.

The WCS is also in the design phase of a new 8,000-square-foot Wildlife Ambassadors Center at the Bronx Zoo, where visitors will be able to see the animals up close and even touch them; and a new health care facility to help animals with severe illnesses. The zoo hopes to begin the feasibility study for the safari attraction within the next year.

NY zoos exhibit new plan - Crain's New York Business

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

It is certainly an ambitious plan by the WCS, and with 20 projects/proposals the cost will be enormous. The future now appears a little brighter for New York's zoos and especially its famous aquarium, provided the city funds the majority of the new exhibits.

3. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe that part of the master plan for Central Park Zoo is complete as I think that their snow leopard exhibit was part of the master plan.

4. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

very nice:)

5. mweb08

mweb08 Well-Known Member

Didn't they just have their funding cut rather severely?

6. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Three points to consider:
    1. The City mostly assists in funding operating expenses (salaries). The city often also contributes to new exhibit budgets, but can't really be said to fund new projects in any serious way. A variety of funding sources are used, especially private/corporate donations

2. The leadership of WCS is expected to undergo a substantial change in the near future. Then all future plans could be affected.

3. And of course as long as the economic picture locally, nationally and globally is so uncertain and unpromising... all bets are off

7. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've been to & worked at the Queens Zoo before and honestly, I do not see the feasibility of a jaguar exhibit because the place is so small and circular in shape (literally). As a matter of fact, while I was working there about two years ago, I actually suggested something like that. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it's just that the employees there are really going to have to "do their homework" so to speak.