Join our zoo community

Wildlife HQ Zoo Wildlife HQ/Queensland Zoo News

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jabiru96, 23 Oct 2014.

1. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Some notes from my visit to Wildlife HQ last Saturday (my last visit was in January 2019).

I was quite taken aback by the progress of the zoo from when I first reviewed Wildlife HQ in July 2018 (A Review of Wildlife HQ [Queensland Zoo]) to now in December 2019. It has expanded quite significantly and the number of enclosures, especially in the first half of the zoo, has doubled. There is also a gradual move towards phasing out most of the domestic animals for new species at the zoo.

-A pair of enclosures for Lumholtz’s tree kangaroos, which will be arriving in the next few months, are located right near the entrance. They are both fenced with corrugated iron and have glass panels for viewing. When they arrive, the tree kangaroos will have access to a good range of climbing structures (ropes, trees and platforms). The location of these enclosures used to house pigs.

-Also near the entrance, was a series of new open-topped enclosures for the following species; Rufous Bettong, Green Iguana, Brush-tailed Rock Wallaby, an empty enclosure (the map indicates Rhinoceros Iguana, so I assume the four juveniles in the Reptile Barn will move into this enclosure soon), Perentie and two American Alligator enclosures for smaller juveniles. I was glad to see a lot of these species moved from smaller tanks to larger, more spacious outdoor enclosures. The zoo also has two new Brush-tailed Rock Wallaby joeys.

-I saw four Quokka at Wildlife HQ (3.1). They have two males which I believe they use for encounters. The breeding pair of quokka reside next to some rescue koalas.
    -The species found in the Reptile Barn were as followed; Boyd’s Forest Dragon, Spotted Tree Monitor, South-west Carpet Python (M. s. imbricata), Boa Constrictor, Rhinoceros Iguana, Lace Monitor, Black-headed Python, Freshwater Crocodile, Burmese Python, Central Netted Dragon, Corn Snake, Boyd’s Forest Dragon (another enclosure), Centralian Python and American Alligator. There was also a tank for two new species for me; Gilbert’s Dragon (Lophognathus gilberti) and Pygmy Spiny-tailed Skink (Egernia depressa). I am becoming quite fond of the Reptile Barn, I think it’s a great use of space.

-The Maned Wolves were very active and were an absolute joy to watch. I am eternally grateful to Altina for their efforts towards preserving this species in Australian zoos.

-The White-cheeked Gibbon enclosure is coming along nicely. It is much larger than I was expecting and enclosure features a really tall mature tree with connecting ropes to wooden platforms. The photo doesn’t really show it, but the enclosure is also quite wide. Like the tree kangaroos, they are apparently still a few months away. This area used to be a flat paddock for a goat and sheep enclosure.

-The tiny enclosure (photo from January 2019 visit:Tawny Frogmouth Enclosure - ZooChat ) which previously housed Tawny Frogmouth, now holds two Diamond Python. This is a much more appropriate species for the aviary.
    -The owl aviary no longer houses a female Masked Owl and is now a mixed aviary for Laughing Kookaburra, Tawny Frogmouth and Bush Stone Curlew. Glad to see the birds have received a much larger enclosure and the tiny kookaburra enclosure is now gone.
    -A new wombat enclosure with a small den has been built behind this bird aviary. A wombat used to live closer to the entrance with some Rufous Bettongs.
    -There is a new meerkat enclosure for the recent arrival of nine females from Altina. It is located near the possums.
    -There was a Golden Brushtail Possum on display in the nocturnal area of the zoo. I also saw both Short-eared Brushtail Possums on-display for the first time.

-During the bear talk, the keeper explicitly said that sun bear imports into the region have come to a complete halt and even if they wanted to, Maly (their sole female) will never breed.
    -I saw a large number of enclosures for their callitrichids; three enclosures for Cotton-top Tamarins (two individuals in each), two enclosures for Common Marmoset (five in one and three in the other), and one enclosure each for Pygmy Marmoset, Golden Lion Tamarin and their large family group of Emperor Tamarins.

I will probably write a full review of Wildlife HQ on my next visit in 2020 (once the gibbons, tree kangaroos and most likely other additions arrive) because the zoo is evolving at a rapid pace and has grown quite significantly since my 2018 review.

More photos of my recent visit can be see here: Queensland Zoo - ZooChat

Last edited: 16 Dec 2019
    Zoofan15, Jake, jay and 4 others like this.
  2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Excellent review, Glad they are phasing out the farm animals and becoming more focused on wild species. Yes I agree with you about hats off to Altina zoo for taking up with the Maned Wolfs in Ausrtalia!

Last edited: 16 Dec 2019
  3. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Does anyone know what happend to the masked owl? That bird has been there since the very beginning when it was still the Big Pineapple.

4. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I believe she went to Geckoes Wildlife (a mobile wildlife display that does animal shows and presentations).
    I saw her earlier this year and they mentioned she came from Wildlife HQ.
    Australian Masked Owl (Tyto novaehollandiae) - ZooChat

animal_expert01 likes this.
  5. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That’a good she’s still going strong. I thought she might have died due to her age.

WhistlingKite24 likes this.