Join our zoo community

Wildlife of Grebo-Krahn National Park in Liberia captured with camera traps

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by twilighter, 24 Sep 2020.

1. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Wild animals filmed during a camera-trap study of the Wild Chimpanzee Foundation in the newly created Grebo-Krahn National Park, Liberia. Filmed Zebra, Bay, Jentink's, Yellow-backed, Black, Brooke's and Maxwell's Duikers, Giant Pangolin, Giant forest hog, Western chimpanzee, Diana monkey, Bongo, Pygmy hippo and even glimpse of African Golden Cat!

2. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm quite interested by the genet in this compilation - the spots on its neck and rump seem to form long blotches and (although the view isn't perfect) it does seem to have a dorsal stripe running along its tail. According to my copy of 'A Field Guide to the Carnivores of the World', the only genet in the region which has both those features is the Bourlon's genet.

If it is that species, it is the first moving image of one I have ever seen (the only other picture of one that I have personally found is a still camera trap photograph, also from Liberia).

HungarianBison and twilighter like this.
  3. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You could be right. I am looking at the tail, but it is hard to be 100 % sure. HMWI and Kingdon's Mammals of Africa V depict the white patches of the Bourlon's genet tail to have almost cone shape and not to meet at the top of the tail, like in the Johnston's genet for example.

I believe you are talking about this report, where it is pretty clear camera trap picture of Bourlon's genet.
    https://www.researchgate.net/public...arnivores_at_Putu_Mountains_southeast_Liberia

Last edited: 27 Sep 2020
  4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Great shots of the pangolin !