Join our zoo community

Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2020

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Arizona Docent, 14 Oct 2020.

1. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For three decades the Natural History Museum (London) has hosted a competition called Wildlife Photographer of the Year. It is without question the world's most prestigious nature photo competition and exhibition. The winners of the 2020 competition were announced today and the physical exhibition at the museum opens this weekend (October 16, 2020). I have seen it in person two different years and it is amazing - blackened walls with backlit transparency prints in large format. If you are able to see it in person, make every effort to do so. They also produce a hardcover book for every exhibition that is worth owning (I own the last eight years and plan to get this one).

I have not looked at the names yet, but in previous years some winners were big name professionals (Nick Nichols of National Geographic, etc) and some were unknowns. The competition currently receives close to fifty thousand entries (though not fifty thousand individuals, as each individual can submit multiple images). These go through an initial screening where a few hundred are selected for final judging to choose the winning one hundred for display. This is the first year I entered and I was delighted when one of my images (a pouncing coyote) made the final round of judging. Unfortunately I did not get into the one hundred that were ultimately selected, but I was close.

Here is an article on the competition: See the best wildlife photos of 2020
    Here is the official website: https://www.nhm.ac.uk/wpy/

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I thought that some of these were incredible.

I was particularly impressed by the Camera trap photo of the Siberian tiger "hugging" the tree. The lighting conditions almost made it look like an impressionist painting or something. In fact, I had to wonder whether I was actually seeing a painting or a photograph, very beautiful indeed.

Some of the other photos I wasn't so impressed with.

For example , another photo of a frog in Ecuador by Jaime Culebras in the competition...*Yawn* ... why submit photos to the competition on a yearly basis ? why not let others have their limelight ?

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Oct 2020
  3. Arizona Docent

Because it is the most prestigious photo competition and exhibition of its kind and being shown can make a career. If you think you have a chance of winning it would make no sense NOT to enter.

The one thing about the competition I do not agree with is that camera trap (trail cam) photos are considered equal to traditionally taken photographs. In my opinion there should be a separate category just for camera trap photos and they should not be entered in the general categories.

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, but the person I referred to in my comment has already managed to get numerous photos of his accepted as part of that exhibition / competition / book over a decade. Personally I would much rather see the work of someone else, someone up and coming rather than someone who is already established and has already won several times (preferably someone more humble about it too).

I see what you mean about camera traps and was actually wondering this myself as this photographic technique obviously isn't like manual photography. Having said that...that tiger shot in this year's competition though...It really is beautiful!

5. Arizona Docent

Here is a short promotional video about this year's exhibition:

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Gharial and offspring shot is incredible and the mice in the London Underground is excellent !

Arizona Docent likes this.
  7. Arizona Docent

I was a bit off when I said a few hundred make the final round of judging. I just reread the email sent to the finalists and it states 3,865 images made the final round of judging. (The 100 for the exhibition are chosen from these).

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Have you ever submitted any photos to the competition ?

Some of your desert shots in the gallery on this site are quite impressive and could potentially make the cut.

9. Arizona Docent

Thanks for the compliment. As I stated in my original post, the reason I got this email is because I was one of the 3,865 finalists (with a shot of a pouncing coyote). Considering there were almost fifty thousand submissions, I am honored. Of course I am also disappointed because I did not make the final hundred so being a finalist really doesn't get me anything (other than a coupon code for forty percent off the book, which I will use).

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Sorry Fred, must have missed that in the original post.

Well done ! That is very impressive, I wouldn't worry as you are certainly getting their attention, perhaps a shot you submit next year or in the near future will make it into the exhibition and book. ;)