Join our zoo community

Will Small Zoos Survive?

Discussion in 'United States' started by Atrox1214, 6 Apr 2020.

1. Atrox1214

Atrox1214 Member 5+ year member

With this quarantine going on for who knows how much longer, at what point are some zoos in legitimate jeopardy? Are there any emergency funds that can be provided? One that comes to mind near me is Elmwood Park Zoo. It's a tiny zoo, but in recent years it has done a great job of updating and providing new exhibits, with more. They've also made it a great kid friendly zoo, with exhibits geared for easy viewing by small kids. The fact that it's tiny is actually a plus to me, as I have 2 year old who is more interested in seeing different animals than how rare certain species are, and she can walk the whole zoo without a stroller.

So, how long can a small zoo like this stay closed before being in real danger of not re opening?

2. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It depends on their financial situation, if a zoo has money saved and receives donations from people in the community they should be able to survive this crisis. The odds are some zoos will close, but they almost certainly will be tiny roadside zoos that are already tight on cash.

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

One zoo has already closed - Special Memories Zoo in Greenville, WI.

4. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd be lying if I said that I was upset they were closing.

5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I wouldn't. :p They weren't a good zoo, but they were one of Wisconsin's best collections.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Most (maybe all) zoos are sending out email appeals to ask for donations. Hopefully they will get sufficient replies to make it through. Though I would also hope that substandard roadside zoos do indeed close.

7. Atrox1214

Atrox1214 Member 5+ year member

I agree that it wouldn't be the worst thing if some substandard roadside zoos closed down (although I have to wonder if life would get even worse for the animals). I was referring more to small, AZA zoos like Elmwood Park or Lehigh Valley.