Join our zoo community

Windsor Safari Park (Closed) Windsor Safari Park footage

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Crowthorne, 15 Apr 2016.

1. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

2. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Late 1970's/early 1980's? Judged on the cars in the film. I only ever remember one Killer whale, then the Bottlenose dolphins.

A damn shame this place closed, though I don't know the full drama. I wish it could have been saved.I remember my shock when it happened as, to me, it came out of the blue. At the time, most of the media was embroiled in the saga concerning London Zoo's closure.

3. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I went with my family when I was around 5. The only thing I remember is the orca Winnie and the dolphins.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

depending on date they could be Winnie and Hoi Wai, captured as part of a group in Iceland in 1977. Both were kept at Windsor until 1979 when Hoi Wai was sold to Ocean Park, Hong Kong. Winnie went to SeaWorld Florida in 1991.
    Winnie's Page

Alternatively they could be Winnie and Nemo. The latter came from Clacton Pier in 1984 and lived with Winnie until 1986 when he died: see (anti-captivity blog) Empty the tanks - Killer Whales of Windsor Safari Park, UK The first...

Before any of these three killer whales they also had Ramu III (aka Ramu or Winston), from 1970 to 1976 (he was then sent to SeaWorld San Diego).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramu_III

Also more info here: The Killer Whales of WSP - Windsor Safari Park

5. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

There is a very good little book all about Windsor`s last years and the disposal of stock written by the late David Taylor (zoovet, IZVG), if you can find it. I can`t remember its title, some one else will know it........

6. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is called "The Animals Came Put Two By Two: The Final Days of Windsor Safari Park."

7. Pacu

Pacu Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looks exactly as it did when I visited in 1979/80. Only Winnie was there then.

8. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Has a very interesting piece about filming the baboon scene in The Omen. Basically they kidnapped a young baboon and had it in the car, while the group went nuts outside!