Join our zoo community

Winged World,Heysham Head further information.

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by john thorpe, 16 Nov 2019.

1. john thorpe

john thorpe Member

Hello there,
    I have spoken to one of my old colleagues from my days at Winged World as a keeper ,and have asked him for some more information regarding stock lists.He's got a far better memory than I,and will ,in due course let me have as extensive list of species as he can recall.This may take a little time but the wheels are in motion so to speak! He's also done a very detailed scale drawing of the layout of the building,showing everything in terms of enclosures,rooms and in very fine detail.we hope to be able to find a way of posting this in due course,and of course I would love to hear from anyone who has any photos,recolllections,memorabilia etc to do with Winged World and the Childrens Zoo.Many thanks.

sooty mangabey likes this.
  2. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Looking forward to this. I never visited, but have read breeding reports in the Avicultural Magazine. They did some good stuff.

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I got round to it at last. Breeding lists for Winged World birds, reptiles and mammals.

Attached Files:

4. FBBird

Fascinating stuff, envious of the Painted Bush Quail. We breed Jungle Bush Quail here, but I’ve never seen Painted. None in the U.K. now as far I know.

5. FBBird

Just checked, no European Zoo has Painted, no U.K. zoo has Jungle