Join our zoo community

Wingham Wildlife Park Wingham Wildlife Park News 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Quincey, 30 Jan 2018.

1. Dormitator

Dormitator Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Took me far too long to work out what an Asco was....

Interesting that the new enclosures have netting, they didn't when I was there at the end of Feb. I'm guessing that they're for more carnivores rather than birds.

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, I should have said that there seem to be den blocks between the enclosures.

3. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

What I love about Wingham updates is that they are basically guaranteed to be interesting and positive.

4. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Agreed, the best I could come up with was "a 1970's zoo in the modern era" then the chimp enclosure came along and wrecked that analogy.:D

For the record, (overall) I like the place and it's the only Kent collection that's guaranteed a visit (but never on a weekend) when I'm down there.

5. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, a continuously expanding, varied/unusual, collection ticks most of our boxes and helps paper over a few cracks (see also RSCC). :)

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  6. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Must admit, this is all definitely piquing my interest!

7. britishzoofan

britishzoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What is the current situation in terms of the Himalaya development. Are all the enclosures now open to the public?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wingham now appear to have Black Mangabeys as well as Eastern Colobus. The Black Mangabey are presumably the first/only ones in the UK(?) since the 1990's era when several collections had them for a while.

Kifaru Bwana and littleRedPanda like this.
  9. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

This is another excuse to head down there; as well as wanting to see the Bears, I want better Black Mangabey photos too!

10. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Didn't one of the obscure monkey sanctuaries have a black crested mangabey until fairly recently? I seem to recall seeing pictures of one housed with a spider monkey.

Pertinax likes this.
  11. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Indeed, the one in south Wales. I was looking through their gallery and noticed a photo of them a few weeks back.

Pertinax and Swampy like this.
  12. Pertinax

Yes, forgot about that one- I think there were two at one stage? But no mainstream UK zoos( is Wingham 'mainstream'- I think so now) have had them for some years now.

13. Pertinax

See above- more apt to have replied to your comment perhaps...

14. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is the penguin pool still suffering from algal bloom turning it green,what with the recent hot weather.?

15. Pertinax

I visited here for the first time yesterday, as I have been curious about it for some time. I found it is literally only a few minutes drive from Howletts... It reminded me a little of a very miniature Colchester in some ways, particulaly the newer part. Its a park of two halves, old and the much newer. The old part is dated and rather scruffy overall, but the range of species is good. Tropical and butterfly houses were particularly run down-looking, as was the 'waterfowl' lake. I didn't like seeing the Macaws pinioned or clipped (like Colchester's). Best was the newer area with the Himalayan Bears and Black Mangabeys(1.2. the male has a stump-tail). Chimp enclosure is huge and rather stark, a big investment for them for a just a small group of chimps. They do good rescue work it seems, but its not somewhere I would revisit in a hurry I don't think. How do they survive being so close to Howletts I wonder? (I know they have a wider collection including birds, reptiles etc, maybe that is why?)

pipaluk, Brum, TNT and 1 other person like this.
  16. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

They understand their customer base - I think it is a more accessible / appealing park for families with younger children (they have a big indoor play area which will always draw the mums with tots) and their family season ticket prices are very reasonable.

pipaluk, Pertinax and TNT like this.
  17. Pertinax

Yes, that's what I deduced- the family friendliness for tinies, the smaller area to walk around, big play areas, big dinosaur display etc- 'it is what it is'...

TNT likes this.
  18. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The black crested mangabeys have a new addition - a baby! However, the baby is off-show at the moment. We were lucky enough to be passing by their enclosure as a keeper was doing some re-introduction work with the adults. The keeper said it had some troubles but didn't go into details. A new enclosure is being built, and has a sign on it titled Rainforest SOS. Lots of work going on being it too. Will post some photos in the gallery.

pipaluk, Swampy and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  19. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

We had a wonderful day at Wingham yesterday - am actually quite impressed by the new Little Himalaya area and the bears were a highlight of the day. As was the tiny American Horse foal that looked to be very young - I've put some pictures in the gallery.

Swampy likes this.
  20. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Southern tamandua has left Wingham and moved over to the neighbouring Sandwich Wildlife Park.

Information comes from the Sandwich Wildlife Park's Facebook page.