Join our zoo community

Wingham Wildlife Park Wingham Wildlife Park News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zia, 27 Feb 2019.

1. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

First bit of news for 2019...

upload_2019-2-27_21-46-0.png

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Actually, they did both turn four in Feb

3. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited today. I particularly wanted to see the black mangabeys, as it has been many years since I last saw this splendid species. As far as I could tell, there were only 3 on show: the adult male (who has lost most of his tail), a subadult male and a young juvenile. I did not see an adult female. The other new monkey enclosures hold squirrel monkeys and eastern black and white colobus. Between these monkey enclosures and the dinosaur park, two further enclosures are under construction to complete the jungle-themed section: to judge from the height and robust construction of the pairs of roof supports in each enclosure, these seem to be designed for species that can climb well but need strong mesh to contain them. Putting 2 and 2 together, I thought of leopards, but I could easily be wrong.
    I liked the new cusimanse exhibit and the binturongs showed well in the afternoon in the exhibit they now share with the Ascos (Asian small-clawed otters). But the stars of the day were the 4 smooth otter kits and their harassed parents. I managed to miss the noon feed and talk, and their extra supper (at about 4.45 pm, I think), but I enjoyed watching the aftermath of each. The kits, still a bit smaller than an Asco and less than half the size of their parents, were full of mischief. They were obviously drawn towards the water, playing and foraging in the muddy margins of their pool and teetering on the water's edge. Inevitably, from time to time, one fell in and their parents had to pull it out and then try to shepherd the other kits away, without much obvious success. I expect that the kits will be swimming properly quite soon. I took an awful lot of photos and I hope to put a little sequence into the Wingham gallery in a few days time.

Brum likes this.
  5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I thought the new rainforest enclosure opposite the mangabey /colobus exhibits might be a new Jaguar exhibit I

6. gentle lemur

That crossed my mind too ;)

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I went last autumn I also saw three, the tailless male and seperated from him indoors, what I thought were two adult females...

8. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

9. Hettie

Hettie Member

A lovely visit today. It is the first time I have been back since in a while (the Moon Bears were not on show last time I visited to indicate hoe long it has been).
    I was really pleasantly surprise by how much it has improved. The newer enlcosure are a great improvement.
    The mixed binturong and otter enclosure is lovely. Same species mix as at Longleat but such a better space. The 3 binturong kits were incredibly active and it was a great pleasure to watch them roam about.
    The otters were not best pleased at times.
    The otter were very lovely dovey which was fun to watch. And they were rounding up material for their den.
    China is still not happy with her new enclosure though. And really not impressed with Gary. It was a shame to see her curled up every time we went past - when I last visited she was in the much smaller enclusre but she seemed to be enjoying it.

Does anyone one know what animals are due to go into the empty part of the rainforest SOS section. It almost looked like they were linking it up to the chimp house.

There seemed to be 2 building areas there at present. The first near the cheeter enclosure. No signs to indicate what may be going there.
    The second on the other side of the rainforest SOS walkthrough. From the feeding posts they have put in it looks like girraffe?? Anyone know if this is likely for WIngham.

According to the keeper at one of the talks there is no breeding program for jaguar's. This was a shock to me as I though Chester kept the stud book for jaguars.

The binturong kits were certainly the highlight of the day for me.

10. redpanda36

redpanda36 Member

These are for orangutan (arriving soon) and indeed giraffe.

11. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Any ideas where the orangutans are coming from?

12. redpanda36

redpanda36 Member

1 from Twycross, 1 from another UK zoo, and two from Europe I believe

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Saw three young Binturong on my first visit to Wingham recently. Even more charismatic than the adults! Other highlights were lovely Clouded Leopards apparently enjoying scent enrichment, and a white Coati.

14. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Do you know when the Orangutans and Giraffes will be arriving?

15. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To anyone that has visited recently - do you happen to have any photos of the new Giraffe and Orangutan developments please? Thanks :)

16. gentle lemur

I posted this photo of the orang enclosure under construction in May, so I would be interested in seeing more recent photos.

Zia likes this.
  17. TNT

18. TNT

Wingham have confirmed the arrival of a single Bornean Orangutan named Molly, with more to arrive soon - She is currently off show.

19. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Molly is 8 years old and from Twycross, Batu x Maliku.

20. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

An account of orangutan Molly's move from Twycross to Wingham:
    Our New Arrival - Animal Experiences At Wingham Wildlife Park In Kent

It seems there are no plans for her to breed at Wingham - 'she may one day be required to move to another location to help keep a healthy gene flow...' As stated previously, she is due to be joined by other orangs.

Pertinax likes this.