Join our zoo community

Wingham Wildlife Park Wingham Wildlife Park news 2014-2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by DesertRhino150, 12 Apr 2014.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think its mainly the size and shortcomings in the existing buildings that are preventing them going any further forward with this at present. It would be easier in a modern, larger building. With the interior of the 'main group' house now permanently closed, and the interior of the colony building looking really primitive in this age, they do really need that new enclosure to be built now.

2. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Managed to get there today. Have added photos, including the Chimp House, to the gallery (for some reason a bunch got duplicated, if someone could please delete the duplicates that would be great, thanks!)

3. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

As some posters have said, a random group of chimps would not work, but an already established group, on a short-term basis, until the others are ready is more possible. Even though it is designed for chimps, there is nothing stopping them housing another group of smaller primates in there just as a filler for now? Whether that is animals brought in from elsewhere, or what about surplus primates already within the collection perhaps ?
    An empty enclosure, for a long period, and especially of that quality and size, is a great shame to see.

4. Pertinax

It should also be possible to amalgamate two seperate groups into one e.g. if the USA ones were later to arrive. It might take time and skill but just within in the UK places like Twycross and Edinburgh achieved it recently.

5. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think there are still issues to resolve with Samantha, Peter and Danny, nevertheless my point still stands that taking a group of random oddments and trying to amalgamate them is neither simple nor quick. Twycross have made great progress but it wasn't done overnight, it's years since they started putting together the chimps from the green mile and the old house.

6. Pertinax

I believe at Twycross if/when those Chimps still in the two small subgroups were added to the larger group, that their differences would quickly disappear as they forged new relationships with other chimps, ones they might prefer as their companions, thus cancelling out any current unsatisfactory relationships. Space dictates that might not be possible at present though.

With regard to Wingham, yes, trying to make a group from individuals would be very time-consuming and probably unworkable. But a small established unit-of say 4 chimps (or more) -if they could source them, might fit the bill.

7. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If only they could talk… I would love to know what Kibale makes of it all!

8. Pertinax

I looked out for him on my recent visit but with the inside of the House now closed off, and only about half a dozen of the group coming outside, I am not sure if I saw him or not- probably not.

I do think if they can build a chimp enclosure to the same standard as Gibbon Forest, that finally their era of keeping chimps by 'dated' methods will come to an end.

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I only suggested Wingham to take on an entire group of chimps from the EEP quite possibly some of the hybrid - surplus - groups only. Not individual animals from here and there ...

10. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

At least two Caracal have been born

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

12. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

13. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good news for the Chimps and it will be good to see the new facility in use, when (if) it finally happens

14. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

that was the stupidest court case ever. Reading that article, the case that NEAVS was putting forward was idiotic. This particular bit which I'll quote was especially so:
    The judge's responses were apt.

15. Nisha

0.0.1 Northern Luzon Cloud Rat was born in July. Birth just announced

16. Nisha

After a long journey (in more ways than one) the Chimps finally touched down in the UK this afternoon and are now settling in at Wingham: Statement from the parks Facebook

We are very excited to inform everyone Agatha, Elvira, Faye, Fritz, Georgia, Lucas and Tara, the 7 chimpanzees from the USA, are now at Wingham Wildlife Park. The chimpanzees all arrived fit and happy, and were accompanied by two veterinary employees from the Yerkes National Primate Research Center who traveled with the chimpanzees to assist in their transition to their new, forever home at our park.

We know you are excited to meet them, and we are excited to introduce them to you, but our focus is allowing them to settle in and get to know our park and their Wingham keepers. During this settling-in period, the small primates that live in other parts of the chimpanzee building will not be on display.

We will let you know as soon as the new chimpanzee exhibit and the rest of the animal exhibits in the same area are open to visitors. At this time, we cannot confirm when the exhibit will open, but we will post pictures for you in the interim. The settling-in process is different for each animal, and we want to make sure all animals are comfortable before opening the exhibit.

Thank you for your continuing patience and support.

MagpieGoose likes this.
  17. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  18. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Enclosure looks nice but I had given the walls another color.. white doesn't look very natural.

19. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I've wondered about this. There must be a reason for the whiteness. Maybe they just don't see the need to dress up what is never going to be a naturalistic enclosure.

It's wonderful see the chimp brachiating at the end of that clip.

bongorob likes this.
  20. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wish more places used 'cages' for certain primates. It gives so many more climbing opportunities than an open top with a few ropes and platforms, but some people seem to think it's more important for it to look natural to the expense of the animal's welfare

dean, Chatt Wolf, Crowthorne and 4 others like this.