Join our zoo community

Wingham Wildlife Park Wingham Wildlife Park news 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Dasha K, 25 Mar 2017.

1. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Doesn't the old version of their scientific name (Selenarctos thibetanus) literally mean “moon bear of Tibet" ? I'm sure I have read that somewhere.

Swampy likes this.
  2. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Indeed that's what Selenarctos thibetanus means.

FBBird and Zia like this.
  3. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That's settled that then. :)

Any information on their source (curious as to where's breeding them and whether from Europe)?

4. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Wingham keeps on pushing exactly the right buttons....

It's really interesting that they are Moon Bears (I quite like the name, and it's extremely marketable). Soon they will be the only ones in the UK, does Wingham think that will be a crowd puller? Perhaps.

I'm hoping they come from an Asian sanctuary, it would be a good story, good education and new blood.

Is Wingham an expandable site? This seems like a zoo going places.

jayjds2 and Chlidonias like this.
  5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

These bears are located within a pretty sizable extension to the current footplan of the zoo, as it happens.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  6. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I was thinking this is quite likely going on past form - their lions and tigers are all rescues I believe, and obviously the chimps.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  7. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Another post from Facebook - miniature horses moved in next to the bears. I have to say the pictures look more like Shetland Ponies than what I know of AMH's - but I am certainly no expert.

"To let you in on yet more animals which are moving in behind the dinosaur exhibit, we'd like to introduce you to William (brown) and Duchess (pinto) - with names like that could they have been any more made for each other?

These 2 little beauties are American Miniature Horses and are in the new paddock behind the dinosaurs. Depending on whether they are out and which side of their stable they are, you will be able to see them from the dinosaur exhibit, however you currently still can't go right up to their enclosure which is located next to the moon bear exhibit.

More updates will come as this side opens up!"

Last edited: 4 Nov 2017
  8. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

No matter what you call them, this is a very welcome addition to the UK bear collection, just when we thought the species may die out completely (when Inca dies at Dudley) in the UK.
    This must be the first import of this species in many many years, and they are surely a potential breeding pair for the future. I would be interested to hear where they came from, I know there is talk that they came from a "private collection" , obviously from overseas, but Wingham are keeping quiet about their provenance, which is a bit odd. Perhaps they are "rescues" and have come from a sanctuary in Asia ? Or from a dealers maybe ? Anyone have any ideas ?

9. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi.I'm intending to visit Wingham WP in the New Year,but from the photo's i've seen of the Chimp House,that it seems sparse,hard floored,and lacking much natural enrichment other than plenty of climbing frames,much like a warehouse adapted for chimps.Can anyone give me positives about it,and the zoo to make my mind up about visiting?

10. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo have now said that this area will be home to Asian Short-clawed Otters, Clouded Leopard and a mystery cat species (they've posted a few teaser photos on Facebook) along with the Asiatic Black Bear.

11. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Turns out the mystery species was a male Northern Lynx who has arrived from Drayton Manor.