Join our zoo community

West Midland Safari and Leisure Park WMSP

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by slendercat, 18 Aug 2013.

Tags:
  1. slendercat

slendercat Active Member

i just wanted to know what year did West midlands safari park have yak and bison?

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They still have Yak,but they are held in an area that visitors cannot see!

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indeed they are, as you drive through the dhole and Asian reserve they are situated just beyond the fence between the park and railway line.

4. slendercat

slendercat Active Member

thanks guys but what about the bison

5. slendercat

slendercat Active Member

thanks i mean like a few years ago i remember looking through the fence just after the wolves[now the dholes] i saw a big thing i thought i was just imagining it!

6. slendercat

slendercat Active Member

Apparently they have red forest buffalo is this true as I have never seen them before

7. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

They are a recent addition from Chester I believe. I'm going on the 6th.

It seems like the back of the park where they had a walk-thru exhibit with fallow deer has been converted into a Lemur Walk. It's good to see that they are renovating that rather neglected part of the park, but liked how it was quiet and private. I hope they still have there deer.

Does anyone know how to tell the elephants apart? They are two cows with small tusks and are about the same age.
    I think Five has a very wrinkly forehead while Latabe is more smooth.

8. slendercat

slendercat Active Member

cool when you have been do you mind asking ? it would be much appreciated. And they still have fallow deer in with the ostrich where the wallabies used to be!

Last edited: 15 Sep 2013
  9. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Hopefully they will be on display, but I'll ask if they are not. They do have pictures on their facebook.

10. slendercat

slendercat Active Member

yeah i went about 3 weeks ago they were not there

11. slendercat

slendercat Active Member

you heard it here first new hotel and waterpark coming next 5 years to wmsp!!!

12. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me what the exact rules are regarding feeding and touching animals? They always seemed a bit vague.
    I'd like to get close to the zebras and camels, but is that allowed? And is it advisable?

And what about the Indian Rhinoceros, I've heard the pair at the park are pretty placid and seen pictures of them close to cars but I don't want to do anything stupid.

13. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've never seen the rhino out and about but CambsVet has posted a picture in the gallery of the rhino right next to passing traffic.
    And regarding the feeding of the animals, the park states that if a camel is near then you are to do up your window and the only animals that are to be fed are deer. Fortunately no-one has told the zebra, giraffe etc and they are quite happy to be touched if there is even a slight possibility of food! :p

14. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Ah that's what confused me, I was never sure if they included antelope as "deer".

15. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

No its just that 99% of the visitors are too thick and stupid to know that there is a difference,between a deer and an antelope and this is proved by the number of visitors,you see at the place going through the Lion and Hunting Dog Reserve's with there windows down,despite the signs saying they need to be closed!

16. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

I always assumed that and never got told off, but I thought I'd check before I went.

Apparently for a long time, while the English and Urdu signs were correct the Hindi ones advised visitors to keep their windows open.

17. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Well, the box is as helpful as usual. It says only deer and goats, but it's plastered with pictures of antelope.

Feed a zebra and a camel anyway, and they were perfectly well behaved. The eland nearly had my fingers off and head smashed in though.

They have Grevy's zebras and Burchell's zebra in together, anyone know what's that about?