Join our zoo community

Wolf Reintroduction Dissertation

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by jadelee93, 21 Jan 2014.

1. jadelee93

jadelee93 Member

Hello,

I'm in need of some dissertation ideas/input to help formulate a dissertation based around captive wolves - however, I'm interested in finding a subject which may be useful if the UK ever did decide to reintroduce wolves back into Scotland.

So far, my main idea is to look into feeding techniques. This would include what different techniques are utilised in captivity (i.e. carcass feeding vs. piece feeding), the benefits to those techniques (potentially linking to health and/or reinforcement of social hierarchy) and then hopefully how this could impact on future attempts for preparing animals for reintroductions?

I'm not entirely sure if this idea clearly links through however, so I'm keen to seek some further advice or receive suggestions on other possible projects based upon wolves.

Therefore, if anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated as I really would like an interesting dissertation that would hopefully be useful out in the real world :)

Thank you in advance and I look forward to your replies!

Jade.

2. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

As far as I know, wolves don't tend to be fed after release. It still seems like a good idea but I don't see how you can link it to reintroduction.

3. jay

jay Well-Known Member

Just a couple of thoughts re feeding. If fed piece would they then not be able to associate whole carcass as food. Also possible ways to discourage hunting of sheep?

4. jadelee93

jadelee93 Member

Hi Lamna and Jay,

Thank you for your replies :)

Firstly, I didn't mean feeding once released, I meant more how to prepare wolves for release - for example, best ways to feed young wolves to maximise their chances of being able to hunt for themselves in the wild. However, after consulting my dissertation module leader, they suggested that if I wanted to use wolves within zoos I'd probably have to divert away from linking it into reintroduction as it doesn't directly benefit the zoos involved and therefore may not be interested in me using their wolves.

So, at the moment I'm thinking of looking into preference of food in wolves, how the presentation of the food could effect preference, then possibly linking to nutritional values of differing food sources and finally seeing if diets they were brought up on when younger effects food preference when they're older.