Join our zoo community

Wolverine, Badger, Red Panda private ownership

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by cleo, 23 Jan 2015.

1. cleo

cleo New Member

Looking for wolverine(s), badger(s), and red panda(s) that are currently held privately (or by a zoo that is willing to deal with a private collector). I have a licensed wildlife center in New York State and these are key species we'd like to have in our center. Anyone know of any?

2. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Unfortunately I cannot help you with acquiring any animals but I was just curious if you could tell us a little bit more about your center. Like the name of it, does it have a website, what species do you hold, ect.?

~Thylo:cool:

3. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Of the 3 species your looking for, I guess the Badger is the most likely to obtain. You don't mention if your looking for European or American badgers but I guess you can contact rehab-centers ( for European I think rehbs in the UK would be the best choise ). If they have un-releaseble animals, it could be possible they want to place it in your center.
    Red panda and Wolverine are more unlikely to obtain as private center I'm afraid.
    Like ThylacineAlive I also would like to know more about your center.

4. cleo

cleo New Member

Yes. I understand that rehabilitation centers may place non-releasable wildlife at other centers or in the guardianship of licensed, private owners. I'm looking for specific names of places or people who anyone out there knows of that have these species and from whom I can get a breeding pair. As far as badgers go, I'm interested in North American badgers, European badgers, ferret badgers and of course, the "nasty ass" honey badgers. lol. I already have a male North American badger for whom I would love to find a companion.

To give you a short synopsis of who I am ... I run a small wildlife center called "Caring For Cottontails Wildlife Rescue & Rehabilitation, inc." which was created as a legal entity in 2011. I specialize in the husbandry of the eastern cottontail rabbit but take in other small mammals and occasionally birds as well. Animals I currently care for (many if whom are releasable in the spring) are cottontails, gray squirrels, virginia opossums, mink, red foxes, fishers, groundhog, and North American porcupines.

5. ailurus

ailurus Member

I can only speak to red pandas. Currently there are no breeding red pandas in private hands. The only red pandas available for placement are in the AZA population and it is currently a green SSP, meaning only AZA zoos would be able to hold breeders. Animals that are deemed non-essential to the population can be held by vetted non-AZA facilities but those would be post-reproductive animals. The SSP is very careful about placement and ownership of animals that leave the AZA umbrella specifically so that a market for these animals does not appear. Unfortunately there is a great desire for them as pets and education animals, neither of which the SSP endorses nor condones.

As far as importing animals from outside the US, you need to show that your are a zoological facility and are contributing to the conservation of the species. If you apply for a permit the SSP will be contacted as to the validity of your claim. Also red pandas are now managed by a GSMP, Global Species Management Plan, so all the various reions around the worls are now communicating with each other about requests to import or export.

Hope that helps.

6. cleo

cleo New Member

Thanks so much for your response. I've heard of a couple private breeders of red pandas; one of which I don't think is still doing it. However, there's supposedly one in Wisconsin and another in Florida. I heard the one in Florida was cited numerous times for quality of care issues and that may be the one that is now non-existent. The other one, I hear, if an applicant for AZA membership and soon will no longer be private . I'm just curious who this person is.

7. ailurus

ailurus Member

There is one person in Kansas, but his animal(s) are non-breeders. The gentleman in Florida, if he has any left, would also have post-reproductive animals or has acquired them by less than legal means. if there is someone in Wisconsin (a rumor I have heard from several exotic pet sites) I would love some evidence to the their claim.

There is one non-AZA facility in the US that is holding one male but they are applying for AZA status and they have a history of working with SSPs.

i would be cautious moving forward in your search because there are several folks out there claiming to have red pandas that have scammed several thousand dollars from various individuals. I would hate to see someone else taken advantage of. There are also Russian sites claiming to be able to procure red pandas but, again, they are suspect and certainly would not be able to withstand a through permit check.

8. kbaker116

kbaker116 Well-Known Member

Interesting thread guys! Cleo I've attempted to locate those critters as well and haven't had much luck. The closest I've come is to locating a wolverine owner in Alaska. Steve Kroschel owns a few males but has had a rough time getting any females even though its legal to trap and kill one, there isn't a way to trap a live animal. Wolverines are incredibly hard to breed from what I've been told requiring lots of space and specific diet. I think you're best chance even though very unlikely is getting in touch with the Alaskan Fish and Wildlife Services and trying to see if they will work with you. But Steve has been trying for awhile and hasn't had any luck.

I've come to a similar conclusion with Red Pandas, unless you are AZA accredited it isn't likely you'll be able to get any.

I remember seeing Honey Badger's advertised a couple years ago, I'm assuming they were imported from Africa. Tanganyika Wildlife Park and seem to have had success breeding them.
    North American Badger I would think would be the easiest to locate of the group but I don't think I've ever seen on available. I think DeYoung Family Zoo has them.

Hope this helps, and keep us posted on your search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qDKw7Yx6yE&safe=active

9. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

Yup, the DeYoung family Zoo has a pair of north american badgers. The DeYoung Family Zoo also serves as a wildlife rehab place, so the might have gotten them at an age where they were not releasable. I remember the first summer they had them, they were only a couple months old so it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.