Join our zoo community

Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens Wolverine!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Zambar, 17 Apr 2009.

1. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Edinburgh is no longer the only place in the UK to see these fascinating mustelids; true to last year's newsletter's future plans, a female Wolverine has arrived at Cotswold Wildlife Park:

'Forget Hugh Jackman, the real Wolverine has arrived at the Cotswold Wildlife Park! This year old female arrived on the 11th of April from Moscow Zoo. After undergoing her obligatory six month quarantine period (she will remain off-show during this time), she will be introduced to her new woodland enclosure and will then be joined by a male from Nordens Ark in Sweden. We look forward to playing an important part in the captive breeding programme for this species.

Wolverines are fast declining in their Northern European habitat due to conflict with Reindeer farmers. An action plan is in place to try to ensure the future of this spectacular animal, often referred to as the “glutton” due to its reputation as a rapacious predator.'

OK, so you won't be able to see it till October, but great news all the same.

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've never seen the Edinburgh wolverines but I remember seeing them many times at Chester Zoo in the 1960s. On one occasion a swan accidnetally landed in their enclosure, it did not live very long.

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

If its in the right place in the quaratine house at Cotswold you should be able to see it before then,it wasn`t in that place on Easter monday though.

4. Ajkwba

Ajkwba Well-Known Member

At least it should be easier to see than the Polecat!!!

5. foz

foz Well-Known Member

i have a friend who works as part of the birds of prey display at cotswolds so i'll ask him to try and get me a picture

6. zoogiraffe

Saw the Polecats brilliantly on Easter Monday,best view i`ve ever had at Cotswold.

7. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member

as far as i know the enclosure is being built next to the aviaries (where all the pheasants are) behind the train station

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That polecat enclosure has been there a long time. I guess they've had a succession of polecats though.

9. Ajkwba

Ajkwba Well-Known Member

I know, must have been 100 times and never seen them :)

10. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member

I visited the park yesterday and the wolverine Enclosure is coming along beautifully, and will look amazing once its done, with an elevated walkway going round one edge of the enclosure. the elevated walkway will give you a brilliant view of the wolverine's over the electric fence . It is expected to be open around February next year =)

11. Dawn B

Dawn B Well-Known Member

Its still not ready and the Wolverine should of been in it 3 weeks ago!

They are still saying the first Sifaka will be out in the walkthrough too.

12. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Can I ask who was it who said that? I've been told it in the past by the lemur walkthrough supervisors but the actual keepers have always said it'll never happen when asked. I think there's a slight lack of left-hand/right-hand synergy going on!

Good news about the wolverine though!

13. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

14. Dawn B

Dawn B Well-Known Member

It was a keeper that was inside the quarantine pen where the Sikafa and ringtail are. I asked him how he was doing. He said he is due out of quarantine on xmas eve and that the existing one will be in the walkthrough, while the new one replaces him. I did chat to a supervisor too, nice girl, she seemed to think it will happen too.

15. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The mystery deepens! Thanks Dawn. :)

16. Dawn B

Dawn B Well-Known Member

Yep, sure does, I admit Id like to see one in the walkthrough, have never got a decent shot of it yet! Its an amazing creature.

17. trachycarpus

trachycarpus Well-Known Member

Wolverines at Cotswold

The female wolverine has now been released into the enclosure.The female
    seems to spend most her time in the large fir tree on the right of the
    enclosure.Look for large tail hanging down.May need to discourage using this tree by wire fencing or may be less reluctant when male arrives and she settles in.

18. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

Went today, didnt see the wolverine.....

But, the two new female rhinos have arrived, and there are friut bats in the tropical house

And a prehensile tailed porcupine in the bat house.

19. Martin B

Martin B Well-Known Member

Brilliant news about the Rhino, must plan to visit in the Spring!

Martin

20. zoogiraffe

So the rumour of a South American Tree Porcupine arriving was true then,what species of Fruit Bat have they put in the Tropical House?