Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Wolves in Californian Zoos

Discussion in 'United States' started by DiNgO BoY, 18 Feb 2008.

1. DiNgO BoY

DiNgO BoY Member

Hi everyone.

I will be travelling to California and San Diego in July this year, and I am trying to locate easy to get to wolf sanctuary type places.

I have been told "The Living Desert' park is a good place and has many wild canids.

I have also seen on the web "The Californian Wolf Centre".

Does anyone know if these places are any good? or if there is any others?
    I will be on tour a lot of the time so my time is limited somewhat...

Thanks for your help

2. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Living Desert is a nice place, they have Mexican wolves and coyotes at least, I think maybe bat-eared foxes as well.

San Diego uses its wolves for education so they are not on exhibit, but they do have New Guinea singing dogs, African wild dogs, and Kazakh corsac foxes.

I'm not sure precisely what canids are on display at the LA Zoo other than island gray foxes.

Hope this helps.

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@Dingo Boy: When I visited the San Diego Zoo two years ago a wolf was being led around on a leash! However, zoo visitors were not allowed to get within 6 feet, as it was being habituated to people. Ituri has already listed a number of canids that are on display there.

4. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Folsom Zoo

Check out Folsom Zoo , near Sacramento .
    It has numerous foxes , wolves , coyotes etc
    Apparently it doesnt trade any animals with other zoos , so it is not a friend of AZA . It appears to be more of a sanctuary for unwanted or unreleasable animals .... it took me a little while to find the site -- I come across it almost by accident last year .

If you go there , can you write a review of the whole zoo for us ?

5. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

LA zoo did have quite a number of foxes in 2004, but none were visible (they were asleep!)

I can't really remember many other species at san diego, but I think Ituri has already got them for you!

6. DiNgO BoY

DiNgO BoY Member

thanks

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.

When i come back from the States later in the year, I will certainly post a review of the parks that I visit. Although my trip is not designed for park and wolf visits, i am certainly going to fit as many in as possible!

Cheers

7. SDCritter

SDCritter Active Member

California Wolf Center

As folks have already stated the San Diego Zoo has wolves but not on exhibit. There are two arctic wolves and one gray wolf that are "animal ambassadors" that can sometimes be seen walked around on a leash along with their domestic dog companions. They are beautiful animals!

But the California Wolf Center might be worth visiting. It is in the east part of San Diego County in the rural areas and from what I hear is doing great things. I've never been there but know a few people who have or are volunteering there and they can't say enough about the place. California Wolf Center - Home Page

Have a great trip to my home town. Its unlike no other... especially the Zoo and Wild Animal Park. :D

8. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Oakland Zoo and San Francisco zoo now has wolfs

9. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Living Desert is nice