Join our zoo community

Wood Rail (bird)

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Smilo, 24 Sep 2015.

1. Smilo

Smilo New Member

Hello, I recently acquired a giant wood rail. The guy who had it was going to cull it because it has some messed up toes. He let me have it instead so I could give it a home. I'm actually taking it to the vet today to get it sexed and an evaluation to see if its feet can be helped. But my main reason for joining this chat was to see if anyone can recommend a better diet for it.

The guy was feeding it what he called turkey crumbles for his game birds that he raises. But since learning that its main diet is crabs I'd like to get it some better nutrition. I was looking into the Mazuri diets but couldn't decide which was best. Anyone already have some of these birds or maybe can recommend what to feed this lil guy that's better than the game bird feed?

[​IMG]

2. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just done some research and I found a website saying you should feed them horse meat (don't know where you are going to get from ), mealworms,assorted chopped up vegetables ( it doesn't say which ones),shrimp and chopped up fish.

Last edited: 29 Sep 2015
  3. leigh catherick

leigh catherick Well-Known Member

hi kept them a few year ago mine loved charnwood sea duck pellets and whiskers cat food the salmon one also veg,meal worm and poultry layers pellets,