Join our zoo community

Woodland Park Zoo Woodland Park Zoo 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 18 Jan 2020.

1. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Zoo’s 2002 Master Plan proposed a new Hippo exhibit with a larger holding area, land space, underwater viewing and a much more sustainable filtered water system. It would have been located approximately where the current giraffe holding building and yards are, so they would have to be relocated first. Obviously, funding priorities (and realities) have changed since then. it’s too bad—the original concept and execution of the current hippo exhibit as part of the Savanna complex was brilliant.

2. DelacoursLangur

DelacoursLangur Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't think they should change that area of the zoo at all to be perfectly honest. A new giraffe barn/yard would be nice as they have the room for it and the weather is rarely good enough for them to be on safari. Bringing back the wild dogs would be appreciated. Most of all I have long dreamt of them linking the Savannah and gorilla areas by finishing the path between them, thats where they could improve the africa area IMO by adding congo species (mandrill, duiker, okapi)...

3. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo has announced some temporary closures due to coronavirus concerns. All indoor buildings are closed until concerns are lifted. The zoo will remain open, but things may vary. Updates are at zoo.org/health

4. DelacoursLangur

DelacoursLangur Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Im not surprised, all nonessential city workers were sent home at least through march today, following most big tech companies... This thing has been spreading here just like in Europe, only difference is we are just now getting some test kits so the cases are going to skyrocket as the scope comes into focus. Its been slowly coming to a halt in the Seattle area over the past few days, downtown is eerily empty. I wouldn't be surprised if these restrictions get a whole lot stricter as we follow in Italy's steps. We are woefully unprepared in this country for a pandemic.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Mar 2020
  5. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo has announced that they will close tomorrow and remain closed through at least March 31. Only necessary staff will be working onsite.

DelacoursLangur and nczoofan like this.
  6. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Ulan, the Malayan tapir is pregnant and due to between April and June, the father is Bintang. 2 Humboldt penguin chicks hatched, the first on April 3rd to Rosie and Leo and the second on April 6th. The zoo had the first birth of red rumped agoutis in all the history of the zoo on March 18th to mother Nutella and father John Agouti. The pups are 2 of unknown sex. On March 20th, a new male jaguar named Fitz arrived from Houston Zoo.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2020
  7. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

8. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

9. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A male Pudu fawn was born May 14 to Ted and Maggie:

He is the first pudu born at the zoo in 10 years.

Pudu parents Maggie and Ted were paired as part of the zoo’s conservation breeding program. There are a total of 33 pudus in the program, housed at zoos all around the country. The population has more females than males, so the new baby male is an important addition to the population.

The Woodland Park Zoo celebrates new babies this spring

10. Zoofan15

Woodland Park Zoo staff ‘cautiously optimistic’ for baby gorilla’s recovery from head injury

Infant gorilla Kitoko sustained serious injuries to the head over the weekend, including a laceration from a bite wound - resulting in a bone fracture to the skull.

Staff suspect one of the adult females may have inadvertently bitten the baby while engaged in a skirmish with Uzumma.

Staff are optimistic of Kitoko making a recovery, providing no infection sets in.

Fingers crossed for the little guy!

11. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's terrible! Has something like this ever been recorded before?

12. MidwestFan

MidwestFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A 3 year old gorilla sustained a fatal head injury at Omaha several years back from an incident within the troop.
    Three-Year-Old Gorilla Killed At Zoo

13. Zoofan15

Update on Kitoko:

Woodland Park Zoo's baby gorilla is recovering

The Woodland Park Zoo shared an update Monday on the condition of it's baby gorilla Kitoko.

Kitoko was safely returned to his mom Sunday evening and is doing well, the Woodland Park Zoo said.

Zookeepers say his mom, Uzumma was reunited with Kitoko and immediately picked him up and began nursing him. Father Kwame was also reunited with his family that evening.

14. Zoofan15

Amanda the Western lowland gorilla has been euthanised at the age of 50:

Amanda the gorilla, Woodland Park Zoo’s oldest animal, euthanized due to poor health

“Known for her sweet disposition and being an exceptionally good mom, Amanda showed attentive, nurturing maternal love and care for her daughters,” mammal curator Martin Ramirez said in a news release. “We are going to deeply miss this beautiful animal.”

Amanda came to Seattle from the Toronto Zoo in 1994. She raised three daughters at Woodland Park Zoo, including Uzumma, the mother of baby Kitoko. With Amanda’s death, there are now eight gorillas living at the zoo.

Amanda
    Born in the wild 01/01/1970
    Died at Woodland Park Zoo 27/05/2020

Offspring:

Unnamed (M)
    Born at Woodland Park Zoo 08/11/1995
    Died at Woodland Park Zoo 13/11/1995

Ngozi (F)
    Born at Woodland Park Zoo 18/03/1998
    Sent to Toronto Zoo 04/03/2008
    1.1 offspring

Calaya (F)
    Born at Woodland Park Zoo 30/08/2002
    Sent to the Smithsonian National Zoo 01/02/2015
    1.0 offspring

Unnamed (F)
    Born at Woodland Park Zoo 09/09/2005
    Died at Woodland Park Zoo 09/09/2005

Unnamed (U)
    Born at Woodland Park Zoo 28/05/2006
    Died at Woodland Park Zoo 28/05/2006

Uzumma (F)
    Born at Woodland Park Zoo 20/10/2007
    Still at Woodland Park Zoo
    1.0 offspring

15. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Zoofan15 your count of Ngozi's offspring is off by one. Its 1.2. She gave birth to son Nassir in 2009, daughters Nneka in 2014 and Charlie in 2018.

Sad to see one of the gorillas who was part of my childhood go. Sure I haven't seen Amanda in person since I was a kid but she was still a part of my early zoo trips and I used to stand at the window of their indoor exhibit and watch them forever. My parents usually had to coax me away with promises of meerkats. Amanda may not have been my favorite, Charles will always be number one, but she helped to build my love of gorillas. Glad she is at peace.

Elephant Enthusiast and Zoofan15 like this.
  16. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

17. Gabby

Gabby Member

Woodland Park Zoo will reopen July 1 with timed tickets, one-way traffic, and a requirement to wear masks and social distance.

DelacoursLangur likes this.
  18. Zoofan15

19. Zoofan15

20. Zoofan15