Join our zoo community

Woodland Park Zoo Woodland Park Zoo News 2014

Discussion in 'United States' started by snowleopard, 23 Jan 2014.

1. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

A new elephant barn

2. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Actually, I haven't once seen anything indicating Woodland Park had plans to expand its elephant EXHIBIT. Everything I read was carefully worded and said they would expand their elephant PROGRAM (ie acquire more elephants).

3. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I mean, if we are going off their LATEST, but out-dated master plan, there was a planned addition to the barn and a bull elephant yard. Of course, that was way before any of this publicity started happening. I think you can definitely have a good elephant program with Seattle's climate, as the entire West Coast is much more mild in comparison with the north, midwest, and northeast.

Syracuse's climate is marginal for elephants at best.

I am a bit disappointed that there will not be elephants in Seattle anymore, and a bit shocked by the decision. At least it looks like Bamboo and Chai will be moved into another AZA facility instead of a bunch of elephant pet owners paid by celebrities. I agree with the others in that we cannot really blame the zoo for ending their program based on what they were dealing with. Its the smart move, more fiscally-responsible, better for the zoo elephant population, better for publicity even if it the public is misled.

I guess I need to find a way to get over to India again to find some wild elephants.

4. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

There is already talk by some people about trying to force the Zoo to sent their Elephants to a "Sanctuary." No doubt the rest of you know about it.

What on Earth does sending them to one of those places have to do with the environment anyway? Nothing, I think. This isn't environmentalism, its just an excuse to force the Zoo to do something that appeals to their moral taste buds, even if being sent to another zoo with possible breeding opportunities has the potential to be a much more enriching life for them.

5. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I dont wish those anti zoo nuts on anyone. They are relentless. Nearly two years of listening to their garbage in Toronto when their elephant program ended was insane. Hopefully the zoo can make the transfer more smoothly like Calgary did this past spring. But for those of you who love the zoo and the elephants you have my deepest sympathies for what may be about to transpire.

6. wensleydale

This is the one good thing about the republicans being back in power. They might not be so sympathetic to these anti zoo nuts and it might be easier to pass legislation to weaken them.

Not that I am at all fond of the republican party, though I was fond of Olympia Snowe when she was in congress.

Anyway, God willing that will not happen. I hope.

7. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

I know the elephants are going to go to Little Rock. Just watch :(. Hopefully it's Denver or Columbus, not Oregon. Oregon is decrepit just like Little Rock.

8. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Oregon is currently building a massive new elephant exhibit that will be among hte best in the US, so I don't think its a bad choice.

9. wensleydale

Oregon is close too, and it is a breeding herd so they would have the possibility of helping raise a calf. How long would they be on the road if they went to Oregon?

10. zooboy28

I think it took me less than 4 hours on a bus (going the opposite direction). :D

11. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

David Towne, former director of Woodland Park Zoo, wrote a guest column in the Seattle Times that praises the zoo for preparing to send its 2 elephants away to an AZA-accredited facility rather than a sanctuary. There have been a number of similar articles in the past week and it seems that the consistent approach has been that Seattle will soon have its 2 elephants as part of a larger herd elsewhere and in a far better climate.

Guest: Woodland Park Zoo’s elephants belong in another zoo, not a sanctuary | Opinion | The Seattle Times

12. wensleydale

Remember, no reading comments!

Last edited: 29 Nov 2014
  13. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

If you would like to know of changes coming to Woodland Park Zoo next year (from 3 male Malayan Tigers to Andean Cock-of-the-Rock to new paved parking spaces) check out the document below.

Here is the 6-page draft for the 2015 Annual Plan:

http://www.zoo.org/document.doc?id=1462

14. zooboy28

I would be very keen to see your photos and review of the new tiger/bear enclosures when they open Snow Leopard!

Nothing mentioned in there about what will happen to the elephant exhibit, nor where they will go (although they probably haven't had a discussion about the former yet), nor what is replacing the cheetahs, nor what will happen to the old sloth bear exhibits (any ideas there?).

15. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member