Join our zoo community

Woodland Park Zoo Woodland Park Zoo news 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 6 Jan 2015.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Woodland Park Zoo has announced on Facebook the passing of an elderly pair of Colobus Monkeys.

There is also a story and photos here: Woodland Park Zoo Blog: Farewell to colobus companions, Pokey and Lambchop

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

4. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What is your favorite zoo map that you have, if you have a favorite?

5. TZFan

6. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

7. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Milwaukee Man

9. Falcosparverius

Falcosparverius Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

That is very exciting news, although frustratingly vague (and I'm sure 2018 will become 2019 or 2020). I take it the nocturnal house is still largely as it was when it was shut, and has just been left shuttered. It will be very interesting to see how they go about reopening it, and fixing the issues that led to its closure in the first place (heating expenses mostly I think). The species list should also be extremely interesting, I am hoping for an "Americas" theme myself, with vampire bats, night monkeys, opossums (hopefully some of the South American species), ringtails, armadillos, rodents, etc. :D

:cool:

11. TZFan

12. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I visited the zoo yesterday with my wife and 4 young kids and here are a few observations:

- The Asia trail that goes along the former Asian Elephant exhibit has now been reopened, as it was closed off earlier this year. Unfortunately it is a lot of walking to see a single species (Visayan Warty Pig) and according to the zoo's strategic plan it could well be a number of years before there is a decision on what replaces the elephants.

- On the Northern Trail route the first mesh enclosure (just past the wolves) now holds a single Great Grey Owl. It is an exhibit that used to have Barred Owls and before that Arctic Foxes.

- The Great Grey Owl aviary in the Family Farm area is now empty with all signs taken down.

- The zoo no longer has Arctic Foxes in its collection and that species used to share a habitat with Rocky Mountain Goats in the Northern Trail loop. Speaking of the goats, on my last 10 visits to the zoo I would estimate that I've seen a clear image of a goat on perhaps two occasions. Maybe the zoo should consider bringing in a group of Dall Sheep or Bighorn Sheep to bring that exhibit back to life.

- The "Day" Exhibit (essentially a Reptile House) holds the following species:

Species List (46 species): Matschie’s Tree Kangaroo, Three-Banded Armadillo, African Dwarf Crocodile, Sidewinder Rattlesnake, Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, Speckled Rattlesnake, Southern Copperhead, King Cobra, False Water Cobra, Baron’s Green Racer, West African Gaboon Viper, Eyelash Viper, Large-Eyed Pit Viper, Blair’s Kingsnake, Taylor’s Cantil, Burmese Vine Snake, Trans-Pecos Rat Snake, Tentacled Snake, Mangrove Snake, Madagascar Tree Boa, Desert Rosy Boa, Reticulated Python, European Legless Lizard, Gila Monster, Armadillo Lizard, Shield-Tailed Agama, Ornate Spiny-Tailed Lizard, Chinese Crocodile Lizard, Prehensile-Tailed Skink, Madagascar Giant Day Gecko, Asian Brown Tortoise, Egyptian Tortoise, Radiated Tortoise, Yellow-Margined Chinese Box Turtle, Pan’s Box Turtle, Yellow-Spotted Side-Necked Turtle, Black-Breasted Leaf Turtle, Western Pond Turtle, Chinese Flying Frog, Blue Poison Dart Frog, Giant Leaf Frog, Waxy Monkey Frog, Tomato Frog, Colorado River Toad, Smooth-Sided Toad and Axolotl.

13. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. Milwaukee Man

15. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Anyone know what the zoo plans on doing with the former elephant space?

16. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nothing has been announced. And according to the strategic plan (http://www.zoo.org/document.doc?id=1624 ) redefining and repurposing a portion of Tropical Asia phase 1 (otherwise known as Elephant Forest) will take place 2019 and beyond.

17. TZFan

18. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Woodland Park Zoo has welcomed a young male Mountain Goat from the Calgary Zoo. Also mentioned in the article is that there is still indeed an Arctic Fox that sometimes shares the exhibit with the elderly female goat.

Woodland Park Zoo Blog: Billy Goat Albert

19. Milwaukee Man

20. TZFan