Join our zoo community

Woodland Park Zoo Woodland Park Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by TerraFera, 1 Jan 2016.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The zoo's 2017 Draft Annual Plan can be accessed via the link below. The major news for next year is that the raptor flight program will be enhanced via a tripling of the seating area and incorporating mammals and other critters into the program. Other additions to the zoo include a pollinator garden, a couple of new Rocky Mountain Goats, a replacement of the Northern Trail boardwalk and possibly a giraffe birth. There will also be design and construction on the Night Exhibit (nocturnal house), which will reopen in 2018 and cost $3.3 million.

Reports and Finances - Woodland Park Zoo Seattle WA

zooboy28 likes this.
  2. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

I wonder when we will find out what will be done with Elephant Forest. I remember people voting on what they wanted to see earlier this year.

3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

The changes to the zoo all sound either minor or are just maintenance, with the exception of the reopening of the nocturnal house, which is a particularly exciting addition. Is there any news on species line-up?

Rather odd they haven't announced anything to replace the elephants yet. Maybe they are planning a big fundraiser for that first?

4. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

On a slightly different note how highly regarded/well supported is the zoo in the local community? Obviously it is thought of quite highly in the zoo world but I'm curious if the notorious protestors who demonized the zoo about their elephant program are just a vocal minority or if their voices have tainted the image of the zoo among Seattle's people. It seems even compared to other anti-zoo groups they are especially relentless, combative and antagonistic. How frequently are the protestors at the zoo? Part of why I'm curious about this is I just applied for a job in Seattle and will be moving there if I get it (surprise surprise I plan on getting a membership to WPZ.)

5. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

@GraysonDP : While I can't speak for this group in particular, I think the phrase "vocal minority" fits many other anti-zoo activist groups quite well.

6. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Seattle's Mayor and several members of City Council, along with the remaining major "newspaper" in town, have all consistently expressed negative views about the zoo, largely stemming from the long-running elephant debacle at WPZ. My sense is the years of negative publicity have seeped into the mainstream perception of the zoo by Seattlites, which is a huge shame considering the incredible legacy of quality and leadership Woodland Park Zoo earned over the past quarter century.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The notion one dimensional perceptions come to mind. Short term election scoring without a vision nor a long view! I do not think we should bow to that kind of idiocy! Engage it and run it into the ground ...

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  8. TerraFera

TerraFera Member

I live in Seattle and am a zoo member. My views on this topic will be biased simply because of my line of work, though most of the people with whom I have interacted here hold a positive view of the zoo. The problem with the zoo is a larger one with respect to how society views animals. I think that by and large, most people here enjoy the zoo, but probably don't give it too much thought on a regular basis because they likely don't give non-domestimated animals much thought on a regular basis.

If there is an anti-zoo sentiment, or even an organized activist group, I have certainly never seen it. I think the thing about the elephants just kind of pulled people out of the woodwork. I don't want to get too political, but some Seattle media tends to amplify the far-left voices at the expense of more moderate views.

There are many people I know who are very passionate about wildlife and support the zoo as volunteers or by other means.

9. Falcosparverius

Falcosparverius Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

11. vogelcommando

12. vogelcommando

13. vogelcommando

14. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member