Join our zoo community

Woodland Park Zoo Woodland Park Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by Echobeast, 3 Jan 2018.

1. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It was quick, but if the Gorillas are doing well with intros, no point in delaying things anymore than needed!

Brum, StoppableSan and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The Draft of the 2019 Annual Plan is now available for public viewing:

https://www.zoo.org/document.doc?id=2441

Usually every year I read through a list of new animal additions or plans for upcoming exhibits and this year the sentence below sums up the current state of Woodland Park Zoo:

"No major additions or changes to animals in the zoo’s care are planned for 2019."

The Annual Plan does contain these tidbits of information:

"Northern Trail refresh design and initiation of construction"
    "Asian Tropical Forest planning"

However, whether it is the two-year closure of the Reptile House, the decade-long closure of the Nocturnal House, the lack of exciting new exhibits, the consistent yet relatively unchanging attendance figures, or a full decade since the last great exhibit (penguins)...I feel as if Woodland Park Zoo desperately needs a capital campaign to kick-start the facility. Seeing how Oregon Zoo has overhauled 40% of its exhibits/grounds since 2008, or the vast sums of money being spent at zoos like Omaha, San Diego, Houston, Dallas, etc....and I feel as if Woodland Park is falling behind many U.S. zoos. Where is the innovation that was a constant presence from the mid-1970s and through the 2000s? Woodland Park is a very good zoo but it is arguably no longer a great zoo.

3. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If never been to Woodland Park Zoo in person (just seen some nice documentations in TV), so what I'm writing is just speculation. However, after reading @snowleopard's post I wonder about one point:
    - When was the last time that WPZ has increased its visitor numbers clearly (= not because of weather conditions)? My guess is: It was before they stopped keeping Elephants. That would fit with Snowleopards examples. Omaha, San Diego, Houston and Dallas all have improved their Elephant exhibits within the last 10/15 years or so instead of phasing them out. Just my two cents...

Kifaru Bwana and snowleopard like this.
  6. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member