Join our zoo community

Woodland Park Zoo Woodland Park Zoo species

Discussion in 'United States' started by Shirokuma, 22 Apr 2010.

1. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Woodland Park Zoo is my favourite zoo I've never visited. I just installed their iPhone app and the animal lists include clouded leopards,anoa and pudu which I didn't know were at the zoo, can anyone please tell me where they are housed?

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

They're there in the bushes - you just can't see them! ;)

(*runs away before snowleopard sees him*)

3. Shirokuma

Haha very good Maguari. But I'll take a Woodland Park lushly planted exhibit over a dusty San Diego building lot (for example!) any time.

Maybe Snowleopard knows where those animals are...

4. Maguari

Sorry - not a helpful reply I know but I couln't resist! :D

To be a bit more helpful, ISIS lists:

1.2 Chilean Pudu
    1.1 Lowland Anoa
    0.1 Indochinese Clouded Leopard

As to where - I'm sure snowleopard or another Pacific Northwest/Vancouver-ite will be able to help.

5. Shirokuma

It made me laugh!

Anyway, I did a bit of research and according to the zoo's website:

'Woodland Park Zoo's clouded leopard is currently not on exhibit',

'Woodland Park Zoo's lowland anoas can be viewed in the Conservation Yards directly behind the Raptor Center.' and

'Woodland Park Zoo's southern pudu are located near the red pandas and cranes in the Temperate Forest'.

Any information about the Conservation Yards? I've never heard of this part of the zoo.

6. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They are modified older paddocks (1930s?), originally housing a variety of more common ungulates such as elk and rocky mountain goats. They are hilly and spacious but nothing special as exhibits. In the Zoo's long range master plan, this area is to be converted to a montane Asian exhibit area (snow leopards, takins, etc.) linked to the adjacent North American Northern Trail exhibits, which are now accessed from a cul-de-sac pathway.

7. Shirokuma

Thanks, do you know which species are there other than anoas?

8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@Maguari: you'd love Woodland Park! Naturalistic, award-winning immersion exhibits plus a great collection of animals. There is only one extremely disappointing section of the zoo (3 ancient grottoes and a couple of metal cages) and the zoo is going to pursue a multi-million dollar drive for funds in 2011 to demolish that entire area to create an "Asian Forest" zone.

I'm almost 100% postive that the clouded leopard that was at the zoo for many years died of old age, and in the last 6 months or so of its life its movements were slow and unsteady. The leopard was kept in the Adaptations building, which was at one time the Feline House.

The Conservation Yards are directly behind and are in fact attached to the Raptor House near the Northern Trail section of the zoo. There are a pair of lowland anoa in spacious but unspectacular enclosures, and no other animals that I know of.

The southern pudu are directly next to the flamingo exhibit, and this area was opened to the public in 2008. The pudu enclosure is not the best, as it is fairly small and viewed through fine wire mesh. There are a breeding pair and one offspring, and I believe that two pudu have been born during the past 2.5 years.

9. Maguari

I'm sure I'd enjoy it - it's clearly a very good and very interesting place, with some very nice animals, but whether I'd love it... I'll wait until (hopefully one day) I've seen it for myself. :D

10. Shirokuma

Thanks for that information snowleopard. Hopefully I'll find out more for myself later this year.