Join our zoo community

Fota Wildlife Park Work experience

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by AthleticBinturong, 1 Nov 2016.

1. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As some members may know I spent the week 17-21st October on work experience in Fota wildlife park, I thoroughly enjoyed my week so I thought I'd give an insight into it.

Sunday 16th: I headed off from home in Wexford in the early afternoon stopping in Waterford for Dinner. We arrived in Cobh around 6 pm we purchased a train ticket for the week and I stocked up on essentials such as Coke and Maoam sweets:D . Fota had organised for me to stay in a families house a few minutes train away from the park. The mother provided me with my breakfast and dinner along with a packed lunch.
    After I arrived I met the family before heading up to my room. The room had great views over Cork harbour and the Irish Navy boat could be seen as Cobh is the Irish naval base.

Monday 17th: I woke at 7:45 got dressed and prepared for the day ahead. After breakfast I walked to the train station at Rushbrooke and headed for Fota, The walk and train journey combined was brief enough lasting only 10 minutes.
    I waited for a few minutes at the train station entrance to the park before a staff member and another, few years older than me girl also on work experience arrived and let me in. By the end of the week I could just arrive and the staff would have left the gate unlocked for me.
    In the walk down to the entrance I saw a few animals, numerous exotic and native waterfowl, Guereza colobus, Humboldt penguin, Great white pelican, free range- Mara, Bennetts wallaby, Guinea fowl and peafowl, Ostrich who by the end of the week one of the males would follow me along the fence up to the cheetahs. I left the keeper and work experience girl and headed down to the office at the entrance where I met one of the 2 others on work experience with me, he introduced himself , we chatted and headed down to the staff yard behind the Giraffe shed. We were greeted on arrival with whom I presume is the head keeper and the girl who was also on work experience.
    Everyday each one of us was allocated to Either Hoofstock, Primates or Carnivores. I was allocated hoofstock and met with one of the hoofstock keepers soon after we headed up to the Rothschild giraffe house. I was amazed over how big they really are when your so close to them in particular the male closest to the door Tadhg. I then assisted the keepers in letting the giraffes out into their large exhibit shared with Grants zebra, ostrich and scimitar horned oryx. I then prepared food for the Brazilian tapir, Capybara and Pygmy goat, unfortunately following an incident in Dublin a few years ago I was not allowed to enter the Tapir exhibit but I was given the task of feeding the nanny goat instead:p.
    We headed back up to the giraffe shed to sweep up which would take up the remainder of the day up until lunch at 1(excluding short tea break at 11).
    In the afternoon we tied up new browse with knots I really struggled to master much to the amusement of the keeper:Dand swept up leaves which were becoming an eye sore in the giraffe yard. At 5 we brought the giraffes back in again and settled them down for the night.
    After doing some final checks I was allowed leave at 5:30 to catch the train back to my accommodation where after my dinner I went to bed to watch my team Man Utd draw with our biggest rivals Liverpool 0-0 before falling asleep...

More to come..

2. ArboLowe

ArboLowe Well-Known Member

Seen work going on at the old lion tailed maceque house and the three islands joined to it looked empty ... Did you hear what's the plan there

3. AthleticBinturong

I heard capuchin, mandrills or drill

4. ELN

ELN New Member

Hi, I’m a student from Ireland and I’m interested in doing work experience at Fota Wildlife Park. I’m just wondering wondering how you applied for it? Thanks

5. AthleticBinturong

TY or Uni? Send me a PM

6. Doireann Heffernan

Doireann Heffernan New Member

Hi, i’ve signed up to do work experience in Fota this year as part of transition year.
    I was wondering how you sorted out your accommodation and also what you were to wear everyday?
    is it just normal clothes or are you given clothes