Join our zoo community

Working at a zoo

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by TheMightyOrca, 22 Jan 2015.

1. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

So, I'm curious, how many people here have worked at a zoo before? I ask because I'm about to apply for an exhibit interpreter job at the San Antonio Zoo. I've applied before, didn't get called for it, so I'm trying again. Gonna play up my love for animals some more, how I can learn quickly and stuff. I probably won't write "I'M GONNA EDUCATE THE HELL OUT OF THESE LOSERS, OR DIE TRYING". I probably won't apply for food service or retail jobs, even though I have the experience. I'm just tired of cleaning. And I really want a job where I can talk about animals without annoying people.

What kinds of jobs/positions did you have? What was it like?

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I have worked at two zoos for a total of 15 years. I sometimes worked with Interpreters and docents, sometimes training them. With the job you are applying for remember: it is not about the animals. It is about the people. It is not about how smart you are. It is about being able to engage the visitors. Focus on them and you'll be fine

Last edited: 22 Jan 2015
  3. Teddy Dalton

Teddy Dalton Well-Known Member

if you don't like cleaning, then maybe zoo work is not for you ;)

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

I've worked 10 years at 3 different zoos and indeed a lot of cleaning ! But also prepering the food, hand-raising babies, an awfull lot of special observations and so on and so on !

5. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member

In the job you will apply for I would focus on the experience you have with engaging people and bringing the topic (animals, conservation etc) close to them. If you have experience with presentation and facilitation I would bring that up as well.

6. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips! I don't mind cleaning too much, I think I'm just tired of restaurant environments. I actually did look at the groundskeeper job, (I want to walk around the zoo) but apparently you need experience with a floor buffer.