Join our zoo community

World Biggest Scale Zoological Park, layout plan

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Miniaturezoo954, 23 Jun 2009.

1. Miniaturezoo954

Miniaturezoo954 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, thank you for your kind words, i love to share this project with individuals who love zoos as much i do, most people in my life think i'm just a little too passionate.

Dan, you got the last part right, Mainly Miami Metrozoo show interest, i was actually the one who contacted them with some of my ideas, mainly because i wanted to get some imput from a the perspective of a real zoo, i thought about eventually turning this project into some sort of public museum, but the problem is that the space they offerered is just a seasonal exhibit, and depending on many different details, the time frame would just not be right, to assemble every piece of the layout, and the way this thing is special is all together, i'm currently working in the layout space of the garage, and the bird building is almost ready, it was made in 4 sections to i could handle the weight, and size, once i place it in its permanet spot, it will be a giant building, inside it looks much like World of Birds in Bronx Zoo, one of my favorite bird buildings, just with more individual exhibits than Bronx.

BenFoxster likes this.
  2. hadrada

hadrada Well-Known Member

Wow!! sounds an awesome project.

Good luck with it.

BenFoxster likes this.
  3. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

I've so far only scanned through that post, but plan to read the rest of it...wow! I've never heard of anything like this before, a very creative idea for sure. Hopefully it'll be able to be transported somewhere and put on display...something this massive would be very hard to transport as you said so it'd have to remain at 1 zoo if you decided to do this.

This is amazing!

What sounds will be used? Are you going to have a background for all exhibits or just for the entrance?

4. Meg-T

Meg-T Well-Known Member

Wow - this sounds fantastic!! I will have to have a trip over to see it when it is complete!

Good luck and I am looking forward to seeing the development pictures :)

BenFoxster likes this.
  5. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

I just finished reading that wonderful plan Miniaturezoo954. I just wondered how its going at if you have any pictures? Thanks :D

6. Thobias84

Thobias84 New Member

I will probably be hated for saying this, but we can't all agree that this is amazing!
    If you can't own your own zoo, well maybe try working at one wouldn't be so bad.
    Or try traveling to all of them, instead of spending all that time and money on a project that will keep you tied down!
    I do think that you love what you do, and nothing can take that away from you, I guess I'm impressed that you find this interesting and that you have this much passion for what you do, I guess I would have to see it and hear you talk about it, to truly understand,
    Nothing bad meant with my comment
    Take Care and good luck to you!

7. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Whilst this isn't a project I could imagine undertaking, who are you to tell the gentleman how he ought to spend his time and money? It's his passion, and good luck to him.

amur leopard likes this.
  8. Thobias84

Thobias84 New Member

Its and open forum, anyone can voice his thoughts on the topic of this post, as long as you do so in a polite matter.
    And I didn't say how he 'ought' to spend it, just suggestions!
    He can do anything he wants with he's time and money! I can still think it's a waste though!
    Peace CGSwans

9. Miniaturezoo954

Thobias84 while you are certantly entitled to your opinion, and it is an open forum, i do wonder about the reason for you to even take the time to post in this thread, your post makes no contribution whatsoever to what i posted here, and it is a massive forum, so many topics, why pick this one.

Anyways as far as what you wrote, the same can be said about every hobby in the world and the individual/s behind it that invest great amounts of time and money, car collectors, those who own and spend money on a boat, those who spend a great deal of money on their gardens, traveling, food, i could give you a million examples, just because my hobby is a lot more unique does not make it any less exiting for those who enjoy it.

As to spending the money visiting zoos, i have visited plenty, so many in fact that i'm looking foward to visiting very few. Working in a zoo, not really, i'm happy with my day job.

I have spent most of my life for a passion of miniatures, zoo layouts and designs and well as diversity of species of animals, add exhibit planing and construction, and a late passion for architectural design. When you put all of this loves and passions together, creating a Zoo Diorama not only becomes a great hobby, but a lifelong dream.

And there is many other factors involved, the most important of them, it has never been done, in this scale, quality, size and realism, nothing even close. And i have probably spent more hours researching and learning about all the many arts included, that most people devote to any career, because it happens to be my passion and i'm extremely good at it.

So there, you have my words, and if you still think it is a waste, then my friend what can i say, look at your own life i'm pretty sure many in this small world will think it is a big waste, does that make them right?

BenFoxster likes this.
  10. KCZooFan

I certainly don't find it a waste, and I'd love some info on it. DO you have any updates or photos?

11. Miniaturezoo954

Hi KCzoofan,

I appreciate your vote of support, for the last year i have mainly been collecting and putting together the different collections of figures for the zoo, it is a lot of work, and there is never enough capital for so many different projects at the same time, it takes a lot to built a zoo in this scale and size, but i hope for the end of this year to have something together, at least a couple of sections, I have done several trial set ups, with just basic structures and some of the animals and so on, but i have not worked on the actual diorama yet.
    I'm a lot more focus and wiser now you could say, since all of the buildings and structures are being produced by the same artists in Hong Kong that i used for the Entrance and several other structures that i have in storage. Once it is completed it will be a zoo similar in style to those found in Antwerp, Buenos Aires and Berlin, but unique in every way, since every building and structure has been designed by myself, using at times the help of a good friend of mine who is an Architect.

I'm including a few pics of a Gaur, a Kudu antelope, zebra, Lion, African white backed vultures and Chilean Flamingos scale 1:12

Attached Files:

BenFoxster likes this.
  12. KCZooFan

Thank you for the quick response. This continues to shock me, and I respect you so much for sticking to this. I hope you post regular updates like this as well. I must say the gaur looks very nice, and lighter pink on the flamingos is very realistic. I may have to fly down to Miami some day to see this myself.
    Good Luck!

BenFoxster likes this.
  13. Miniaturezoo954

A few more pics of other animal figures in my collection.
    I'm currently working on a collection of human figures 1:12 scale to go with the animals, it will be around 100 unique human figures in different poses, and eventually additional figures could join them as the diorama grows.

Attached Files:

BenFoxster likes this.
  14. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Good luck with this, you have come this far and deserve to do well in realising your dream. The animals look great, I'm quite jealous!

15. Miniaturezoo954

Hi KC,

It's been a work in progress, at times i only imagine where i could have been with the project if i knew 10 years ago when i started developing the idea into an actual hobby what i know now.
    I started with animal toy figures and most of the items i collected back then were not even in scale with one another, those days are far behind, and i have moved on to a completely different project.

All the animal figures and human figures are created by an incredibly talented artist in perfect scale with one another, as it is every single item in the zoo, the miniature landscape is just as if not more impressive than the animal collection, since there is such more diversity i have well over 3500 species of miniature plants and trees all created with extreme realism, so even though the size and scope of the project has been reduced due to the expensive cost of this new project, and the size of the scale as well, it will still rival most real life zoos in diversity and design, i have to get very creative with the space as you can imagine.

Once it is set up, you are welcome to visit anytime you find yourself in Miami, some pretty good animal atractions overhere as well.

I'm including a couple more angles of the Gaur you liked, i'm working on getting a female, but the size of the large mammals limits the number of sculptures i can get, and still make the exhibit look realistic as far as space.

Attached Files:

BenFoxster likes this.
  16. KCZooFan

Thank you for this info, and though my response will not be long, you must understand how amazing I find this. Maybe it is because I have a short attention span, but I don't see how you could stick with this for years. The guar alone is at least 1/2 foot tall. Thank you for posting these photos as well. Maybe you should set up an account on Flickr or some other website to put these photos on. Good luck with this astonishing feat, and I hope to be getting updates from you on here. Thanks :)

17. Thobias84

Thobias84 New Member

Well Said! I just kind of stumbled over your post! Its total rubbish! but again don't listen to me! I'm nobody to you! and you know that already! If you go public with yourself or things
    its open to the subject of praise or criticism!

18. Miniaturezoo954

No a problem Thobias84, i really did not take any offence, it was more of a point what i wrote to you in responce. I have had my share of criticism, especially from close friends or even family who really have no idea what kind of joy working on this project brings me.

But most of them have something in common, they can care less about zoos, desing, and diversity in the Animal kingdom period. When i first wrote about my hobby here in the forum, i thought that it was a perfect fit, since this is mainly a site about zoo fanatics, that love the desing of exhibits and the idea of being able to see a number of species of animals on a particular site.

Still i do not think that many of them even know what i'm talking about doing here my post, if i didn't know any better, and i heard or just read over some of the pages i initially wrote, i would think this is no different than a large toy zoo set up in a room. But this project if far from it, what i'm trying to acomplish is take a picture of a fictionary real life zoo and reduce it in scale, the only downsize is that the animals will not move (sadly) and the landscape will need very little care, if any. Makes sense? probably not:)

BenFoxster likes this.
  19. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I highly admire this project and hope to see more photos on the forum as and when - the figures are all brilliant and it's nice to see a diversity of some non-ABC animals, rather than just lions and tigers - wish I could find somewhere that sold various animal models, would be nice to have Sumatran rhino, Sumatran orang and some hornbills :D

I have one quick question - how far are you going with this? I mean, I guess you're obviously doing the exhibits and public areas, but are you including off-show areas? Staff canteens and offices? Food storage and keeper corridors? Vets clinic and general Behind the Scenes? The project is amazing as it is, and if these are included then that is brilliant.#

I'm attempting a zoo tycoon 2 zoo that I hope to one day share with ZooChat, but only started yesterday so only have a Raven aviary and Pine marten enclosure (using a lot of downloads :D). The main problem with that is space restrictions, so it may be a case of having one 'zoo' for each geographical theme. With all of the downloads I have there's certainly enough species :D

BenFoxster likes this.
  20. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

JR do you have zoo tycoon 2 on a disc or ds?