Join our zoo community

World Biggest Scale Zoological Park, layout plan

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Miniaturezoo954, 23 Jun 2009.

1. Miniaturezoo954

Miniaturezoo954 Well-Known Member

Hi Javan Rhino,

Thank you for your comments, i love diversity, and that is one of the primary points of focus of the zoo project, and the reason why i choose 1:12 scale, anything from a small bird or amphibian to a large mammal is possible, mostly a credit to the artist that works on the animal collection, who is really the very best in the world at what he does.
    Hornbills, i love them and i have a very large collection of them already, even thought the ABC animals are just as incredible. When i first started getting the custom figures collection, i felt the same way, i started with birds, and when i moved on to the large mammals something like a White Rhino was to avoided at all cost, it was such a large amount of money hundreds of dollars for a figure that as you put it had been done before my so many animal figure companies and even sculptors, but i was completely wrong, the figures are not exceptionally real (pictures do not do them justice) but they are unique in many ways.

And to top it off, without the ABC animals it would not be a very realistic zoo, but the diversity in rarely seem animal species rivals that of Berlin Zoo or San Diego for that matter.

Attached Files:

2. Miniaturezoo954

In reference to your question about off show areas, it is a work in progress, the main challenge is space, so the zoo grounds will take priority.
    But the beauty of 1:12 scale, as i mention earlier is that anything can be recreated in full detail, there is enough supliers and artists outhere that focus on specific areas, to duplicate in detail anything from a Vet Clinic to a food storage area.

The most significant project within the zoo that is not related to the animals in any specific way is a very large full service Asian Theme restaurant, in full detail, i have the building structure already in storage, and i have to tell you it is one of the most incredible 1:12 scale buildings i have ever seen, it is a jewel in the zoo, and everything that comes with it tables, lamps, kitchen accesories, you name it. I have already everything i need it to complete it minus the staff figures and consumers figures. The restaurant building will be located very close to the Asian Style Entrance so it is on the same theme, there is also a number of kiosks and different small to medium structures that are not related to the animals like public restrooms, a magazine stand, a small suvenier gift shop close to the entrance. There is also a Victorian style structure that used to house animals, but is meant to just be seen as a historical site in the zoo model, not sure what i will do with it yet.

The following are some pics of 1:12 dioramas or scenes created by many artist to give you an impression of what is possible as far as realism and detail in this scale.
    Key Points a Zoological Park has never been built in this scale, and the scope of the project both in detail and size are not common either. Very few 1:12 dioramas outhere the size of what this one will be, and certantly none in this level of detail, you mostly get either or, large amount of detail in a small scene, or limited detail in a very large scene, i'm aiming for both.

Attached Files:

BenFoxster likes this.
  3. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Danny do you plan in bringing in youngsters?

4. Miniaturezoo954

Hi Jordan,

If by bringing in youngsters, you mean making it a point for young kids to come and check the layout out, no that is not at the top of my list.
    I really wouldn't deny a kid that knows about it a chance to see it, but pretty much 100% of the sculptures and models are adult friendly only, meaning if a kid was to get their hands of them it would be a problem.

Kids usually like to touch and especially when they are surpriced with something they have never seen before, the few adults that have catched glimpses of some of my tryout sections without even 80% of the detail that would follow in the actual diorama, have been blown away and most of their reactions were not very adult like, there was this lady that said to me "it looks like God used his wand and just made all this items small" her next qoute was that she wanted to walk on it. I can only imagine what a kid would say or even worse actually do.

5. Jordan-Jaguar97

No youngster meaning animal young:p

BenFoxster likes this.
  6. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My zoo tycoon is on the computer Jordan, as my zoo grows I'll make a thread about it :) - just completed enclosures for Eurasian wolves and Norway lemmings, so that's 4 species in now and I've got a rough idea where other things are going :D

Thanks for the info MiniatureZoo :) - Glad to see my favourite hornbill species, the Rhinoceros :D.

7. Jordan-Jaguar97

I am buying the game as i type JR i may need to ask the odd favour:p

8. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

@miniature zoo: I am a kid, so I guess I will not be allowed to see it :p Maybe make an exceptian for zoo loving teenager?:)

@jordan-12: Zoo Tycoon is a great game, I have close to 10,000 zoos saved in my computer, though less than a quarter of them are complete :)

9. Jordan-Jaguar97

What species are they and do you build the enclosure and do they breed?

10. KCZooFan

African Elephant (Loxodonta africana) - Savannah
    American Beaver (Castor canadensis) - Wetlands
    Bengal Tiger (Panthera tigris) - Tropical Rainforest
    Black Rhinoceros (Diceros bicornis) - Savannah
    Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus) - Savannah
    Chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) - Tropical Rainforest
    Common Peafowl (Pavo cristatus) - Temperate Forest
    Common Zebra (Equus burchelli boehmi) - Savannah
    Dromedary Camel (Camelus dromedarius) - Desert
    Emperor Penguin (Aptenodytes forsteri) - Tundra
    Gemsbok (Oryx gazella) - Scrub
    Giant panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca) - Temperate Forest
    Greater Flamingo (Phoenicopterus roseus) - Wetlands
    Grizzly Bear (Ursus arctos horribilis) - Boreal Forest
    Hippopotamus (Hippopotamus amphibius) - Wetlands
    Ibex (Capra ibex) - Alpine
    Jaguar (Panthera onca) - Tropical Rainforest
    Lion (Panthera leo) - Savannah
    Moose (Alces alces americana) - Boreal Forest
    Mountain Gorilla (Gorilla gorilla beringei) - Tropical Rainforest
    Nile Crocodile (Crocodylus niloticus) - Wetlands
    Okapi (Okapia johnstoni) - Tropical Rainforest
    Ostrich (Struthio camelus australus) - Savannah
    Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) - Tundra
    Red Kangaroo (Macropus rufus) - Scrub
    Red Panda (Ailurus fulgens) - Temperate Forest
    Reticulated Giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis) - Savannah
    Ring-tailed Lemur (Lemur catta) - Tropical Rainforest
    Snow Leopard (Uncia uncia) - Alpine
    Thomson's Gazelle (Eudorcas thomsonii) Savannah

There are also 4 expansion packs (Endangered Species, African Adventure, Marine Mania, and Extinct Species) as well as thousands of internet downlads

Building enclousures is the main part of the game, and the funnest part of it, and yes they breed.

BenFoxster likes this.
  11. KCZooFan

Lets not get off topic though, this is about miniature zoo's wonderful zoo.

12. Thobias84

Thobias84 New Member

Keep it up! my loss for not for feeling it! take care!

13. the wild one

the wild one New Member

Im planning to do a similar project and i have a HUGE question for you. First, where do you get the animals needed at the exact size? I have scoured for detailed figurines like these, but they were never the same size (both animals and plants). So if you could answer this question, i would be extremly greatful. All i can say is that your zoo is georgeous! It probably be one of the greatest miniature world in the entire universe. I really enjoy reading your post and I can't help but to keep reading your plans and ideas! I can't wait to see more!

14. Viper

Viper Well-Known Member

Wow, what a small world. It seems that making zoo models are nothing out of the ordinary on Zoochat. ;)

@miniaturezoo: Amazing work! This is an excellent example for my model i'm making of the Sacramento Zoo. I can't imagine how many hours, sweat, and money creating what I think is the greatest/intresting thread on the fourm. Honestly, I'm impressed!

@the wild one: I'm very intrigued to learn and observe some of your work. Is it possible to start a thread about your project. Also maybe some photos in the gallery?

Viper

15. tamarin

tamarin Well-Known Member

@miniaturezoo: did you make your miniatures of your own ?:confused:

16. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

I'd like to bump this thread. I hope MZ954 will tell us how his/her plans are progressing. I'd love to see some photos!

~ Thaumatibis

17. TXzooguy

TXzooguy Member

Hi y'all..new to this thread and Zoochat...I'd love to see full images of the layout--this sounds like a fascinating project and I would love to see it. As a lover of zoos and models it is right up my alley1

BenFoxster likes this.
  18. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Sadly the member who made this thread has been absent from the forum for over 6 years. I hope he will return and tell us how his project has progressed.

Welcome to Zoochat btw! :)

BenFoxster likes this.
  19. LowlandGorilla4

LowlandGorilla4 Well-Known Member

me too

BenFoxster likes this.