Join our zoo community

World’s Largest Frog: Working with Goliath Frogs

Discussion in 'United States' started by findi, 1 Feb 2013.

1. findi

findi Well-Known Member

World’s Largest Frog: Working with Goliath Frogs

Hi All,

Pac Man Frogs, African Bullfrogs and Marine Toads usually take center stage when talk turns to giant frogs. But the real goliath among them is, well, the Goliath Frog…

As a child, my information on the Goliath Frog, Conraua goliath, was limited to a few brief sentences hidden away in various books, but this was enough to spark my interest. Eventually, a life-sized sculpture of one at the American Museum of Natural History (please see photo) gave me some idea of just how impressive a creature it was, and my desire to learn more intensified. Happily, I found a job at the Bronx Zoo shortly after a group of Goliath Frogs arrived there from Cameroon, and I was able to indulge my passion. One of my new charges spanned 25 inches with legs extended…nothing, not even the enormous African Bullfrogs and Marine Toads (or, for that matter, Leatherback Turtles!) that I had already handled prepared me for the sight of that amazing animal.
    Read more here The World?s Largest Frog - Working with the Massive Goliath Frog That Reptile Blog
    Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj.

Thanks, Frank
    My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog That Reptile Blog
    Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

2. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I remember seeing the Goliath Frog exhibit in the Aquatic Bird House. What was the longevity record achieved by these specimens?

3. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Do any zoos currently hold the species?

~Thylo:cool:

4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know Duisburg Zoo in Germany had at least one for some time in the 70-ties / 80-ties.

5. findi

findi Well-Known Member

Hi Mike,

Several, collected as adults, lived 6-8 years; unfortunately, they did not breed or shows signs of readiness. Best, Frank

6. findi

findi Well-Known Member

Hi, None listed in the Am Zoo Ass. register, or in any of the zoos in Japan I've been in touch with, I'll keep an eye out,Best, Frank

7. ThylacineAlive

Thank you! I once saw a picture on ZooChat of what is suppose to be a Goliath Frog but can't find it again. The title might have been changed or something.

~Thylo:cool:

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

may have been this photo: http://www.zoochat.com/569/kingdoms-night-african-bullfrog-174815/

Other species in the same genus (Conraua) are kept in private hands and are apparently much easier than C. goliath.

9. ThylacineAlive