Join our zoo community

Marine Life Park "World's Largest Oceanarium" set to open by mid-2012

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by Zooish, 28 May 2011.

1. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No date yet... the developer has been tight-lipped and has thus far not committed to any date. December would be a safe bet :D

2. ZoOsToN

ZoOsToN Member

Hi Hi,sorry to cut in...Im just curious what animals will be housed in the marine life park?...:)

3. Zooish

Other than the 25 bottlenose dolphins, and vague mentions of sharks, rays, reef fish and an open ocean tank, the park has been keeping silent on the exhibits. The owners of the park (Malaysia-owned Genting group) have a penchant for making frequent changes to concepts, so its likely nothing will be revealed till shortly before its opening date - which itself is a mystery!

4. ZoOsToN

ZoOsToN Member

Oh,ic...btw when u said "vague mentions of sharks" , can i know those species that most likely be displayed in the park?...:D

5. Zooish

Purely guessing, the more likely species would be the reef sharks, leopard sharks and nurse sharks. Tiger/sand tiger if we're lucky.

6. ZoOsToN

ZoOsToN Member

Oh ic,also thx for the info btw...and also what are your guesses that Singapore's Marine Life Park will be like some other oceanarium that not only showcase ocean dwelling animals but also some other aquatic animals such as crocodiles/alligators,penguins,sea otters or those creatures that have never been seen in Singapore before such as hammerhead sharks,manta rays,octopuses,sunfish,barracudas,electric rays,beluga whales,walruses or even perhaps orcas?...Btw sorry for keep asking you so many questions,im just curious and also cant wait for the park to open,if you understand what i mean...the day of the opening is so near yet so far...!!! :D

Last edited: 28 Mar 2012
  7. Zooish

Probably not.

Hammerheads, mantas and sunfish don't do well in captivity and very few facilities have them. Acquiring them will be difficult.

I won't bet any money on seeing whales, after the 'saga' with the wild-caught dolphins and the fact that the park doesn't have any reserve land to expand. As it is, the 8-hectare park's exhibits are tightly packed and from what I can tell, the dolphin pool isn't exactly spacious for 25 dolphins (but I'll reserve final judgement till I see the completed exhibit).

8. ZoOsToN

ZoOsToN Member

Oh,okay,i see,so means the Marine Life Park is somewhat like Underwater World but just a larger version of it right?...:D

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

reading back through this thread, I see that in the very first link provided by Zooish it says the attraction will include an aquarium and the marine park, making it sound as if there will be an indoor facility perhaps akin to the existing Underwater World and a completely separate outdoor attraction for the dolphins etc. Do you (Zooish) know if these will be opening at the same time or staggered, or alternatively if it was just literary licence (i.e. they're the same building phrased to make it sound bigger). I'm not actually sure if any of that made sense, but I know what I mean in my head!!

I was also quite intrigued (not necessarily in a good way) by this quote from CROSSLEY ARCHITECTS | CREATING TRUE LIVING HABITATS | PROJECTS : RESORTS WORLD SENTOSA MARINE LIFE PARK SINGAPORE (in Zooish's post #19 above)

10. Zooish

@Chlidonias: This project has been through countless iterations. As it stands now, the yet-to-completed aquarium component (basement level if I'm not mistaken) will be incorporated with the already opened Maritime Experiential Museum. The Marine Life Park will be a separate entity with mainly outdoor pools, combined with a small water theme park. I suspect the aquarium and MLP will be linked since they're co-located, but require separate admission tickets. My guess is that both will launch at the same time.

11. Zooish

All references to the aquarium have just been removed from the Maritime Experiential Museum's webpage. I guess that means the aquarium will now be part of the Marine Life Park - which makes much more sense.

12. Zooish

Here's a link to a blog with a comprehensive photo update of the Marine Life Park. The blogger has an interest in developments at Resorts World Sentosa, a massive tourist resort which the Marine Life Park is part of. Looking at the construction process, a realistic opening date would be September or later.

Marine Life Park – from the air | dejiki.com

Photos were taken from a cable car which passes over the park. The tall buildings beside the park are hotels.

13. Zooish

14. Chlidonias

hmm, my enthusiasm for this place has been considerably dampened looking at those photos.

However, I'm hoping the "rock house" might be for housing aquariums or something like that.

15. Zooish

How so if I may ask?

The aquarium exhibits (and underwater viewing for the open pools) are supposedly at a basement level, at least according to design plans. No clue what the rock house will be, save for the fact that the Lazy River passes through it.

16. Chlidonias

its just the whole tacky fun-park atmosphere of it that puts me off. Obviously when I've been thinking about the place I've just been concentrating on the animal side and not the presence of the rides etc!! It will be interesting to see it in reality when its finished.

17. Zooish

Some details of MLP were released and leaked recently. It will supposedly be split into 3 separate-paying segments - the S.E.A aquarium, adventure water park and dolphin encounter. The aquarium will house 100,000 specimens from 800 species in 50 exhibit tanks, with manta rays, goliath grouper, napolean wrasse and 200 sharks quoted as some of the highlights. The 25 dolphins will be housed in a series of pools connected by long canals. Opening is set for "last quarter" of 2012.

18. Chlidonias

that's interesting. As fun parks hold no interest for me it seems a good idea to have separate fees for the separate areas (but for anyone else who wants to see the whole thing it's probably a bit annoying I guess).

I am now officially enthused again.

19. Zooish

@Chlidonias: I'm sure they have all-in-one ticketing options for people who want the full works. The reef swim and ray encounter are part of the Waterpark by the way. So basically everything that can be seen above ground is the Waterpark and Dolphin experience, while the aquarium is entirely below ground.

Not sure if it's just creative expression, the logo for MLP includes images of swordfish/marlin-type fish:

http://uat.rwsentosa.com/Portals/0/RWS/MLP/images/MLP-Logo_420.jpg

The link is to a test website, so details shown may be subject to change.

20. Zooish

Rather surprising developments at the Marine Life Park - most of the outdoor pools (both animal habitats and waterpark rides) have been drained and several have been torn up for resurfacing. Not sure how this will affect the opening of the park, but the owners have stuck to their projected year-end opening (November according to close sources). The 25 dolphins (14 males and 11 females) have yet to arrive from their holding pens in the Philippines.

The underground aquarium is all done up, with the animals moving in. It will have 3 large tanks - the centrepiece open ocean tank, a shark tank and a shipwreck-themed tank, requisite touch pool and about a dozen themed zones. I've seen photos (which I can't share unfortunately) and I have reservations about the sight lines of the large tanks (tank walls very obvious, seeing other viewing windows, etc). I'll reserve full judgement till I see the final product.

You can see the above-ground photo updates from blogger Dejiki's site:
    Marine Life Park – from the air 6 | dejiki.com