Join our zoo community

Worst Example of Anthropomorphism I've Ever Seen

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Zoofan15, 31 Jan 2018.

1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interested to know if anyone has seen a worse example of anthropomorphism than this (#cringe):

A Salute to an Orangutan Named Kyle | Washingtonian

A Salute to an Orangutan Named Kyle

A new primate was born last night at the Smithsonian's National Zoo. Kyle the dad can’t believe his luck.

On Monday night, the primate staff at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo welcomed its first Bornean Orangutan born at the institution in 25 years. This is a huge win for captive breeding and conservation efforts for the critically endangered species. Reports from this morning say the mother, Batang, and her baby are healthy and bonding, and staffers are hoping this bodes well for the newborn’s survival. There’s much to celebrate. Nobody, however, is more thrilled than brand-new father and Batang’s mate, Kyle.

It’s no secret that Kyle landed a woman way cooler than he is. Every day, he counts himself lucky that a fellow nerd from the Association of Zoos and Aquariums’ Species Survival Plan paired the two of them up, or Batang never would have given him the time of day. It’s funny how things work out. To be honest, Kyle is still completely floored by this news. Batang hadn’t even told him she was pregnant. She probably knew he’d only worry the whole time. She learned to hold that beanbag pillow upright without even telling him she was practicing for a baby. She had it handled. She always does. Batang has always been the H.B.I.C. in the relationship—the adventurous one. Would you believe he hadn’t even tried sushi when he met her? It makes him laugh now to think how sheltered and shy he was before her. She’ll definitely tackle this baby stuff, no problem. She’s already nursing, they say! What a champ. He doesn’t mind that she’s been sequestered to a separate pen; he’s honored to have been invited to play even a small role in this process. Oh, how time changes things. What would his parents think if they saw him now? A father! And Mom is the baddest female in the primate exhibit. How about that.

Kyle just got word it’s a baby boy, and he can’t stop crying. Hopefully the little guy will take after his mother.

Note: A representative from the National Zoo stressed that male orangutans play no role in raising infants and don’t know which they sire. So Kyle is actually even more clueless in real life.

2. Sheather

Sheather Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is written to be a little silly on purpose I believe, a point firmly brought in by the last note.

Kakapo likes this.
  3. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

By other hand, I think that any kind of anthropomorphism given to animals that are non Anthropomorph Monkeys (=apes) is worst than the same kind given to Anthropomorphs. Cartoon animal movies for kids are full of these anthropomorphism - for example in Finding Nemo, nobody care about the fact of clown anemonefishes don't caring never for their (pelagic) offspring (despite they care and defend fiercely the eggs, but not once they hatch), or that It's a Bug's Life, that any grasshopper entering to an ant mound would be inmediately inmovilized and eaten.

Both the movies and this orangutan text are purposedly exagerated for make the readers/viewers conscient about that this is just a tale, not a newspaper or documentary.

4. Zoofan15

We have plenty of that in the Australasian region when it comes to apes. Every time a gorilla has a birthday, they say what 'X' would really like for his/her birthday is for everyone to donate their old mobile phones (for a conservation recycling initiative). It's barely excuseable as it is for conservation but honestly, couldn't they just request it at the end of an article about the gorilla turning x amount of years. If we're all honest with ourselves, the gorilla neither knows or cares about the plight of gorillas in the wild and would be truly 'happy' with an enormous pile of it's favourite food.

5. Zoofan15

PS. Re. Animal cartoons/movies and anthropomorphism - don't get me started on the Lion King.

6. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I’m badly guilty of this. According to my partner and I, sun bear brothers Somnang and Rotana at Edinburgh Zoo have learned to speak English with Edinburgh accents and constantly talk to each other about what their next meal is going to consist of. Sorry ‘bout it :oops: !

Spooky_Skellington likes this.
  7. Zoofan15

Write a written apology to the bears, and then one from me (because I'm now guilty of anthropomorphism for implying they can read) and we'll say no more on the matter :D

8. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I remember when I told my friend that spectacled bears Bernardo and Lima at Chester had been observed mating and I suggested that perhaps Bernardo might send Lima a Valentine’s Day card, to which my friend told me not to be stupid because Bernardo obviously can’t write - but of course he can write, otherwise how would he have filled in his landing card at the airport when he came over to Chester from Tulsa?! Evidently I am just a serial offender.