Join our zoo community

Worst Exhibit

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ZooMania, 11 Sep 2007.

1. Hadley

Hadley Well-Known Member

Nonspecific giraffe, Damara Zebra, the zeedonk, crowned crane, female Greater Kudu, and the White Rhinos. They may well breed from the rhinos as they seem to be getting results from AI with the old bull. It will be interesting to see how that works having rhinoceros calves in the exhibit. Although that situation will happen sooner at South lakes.....

2. Jaywa

Jaywa Active Member

Alexandria Zoo Egypt

Shocking enclosures - overworked and dead from exhaustion donkeys are fed to lions. We have managed to get the elephant off her chain during the day (has been on same for 35 years since arriving) and improve her enclosure. Have also raised funds to improve conditions for the very depressed monkeys. If anyone would like to help the working animals ie donkeys, horses and street cats and dogs of Alexandria please contact Janet Thomas in Perth Australia on 0400 107 399 - Animal Aid Abroad. Best wishes, Anne

3. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Here are my worst exhibits amongst zoos I've visited.

Elephants : Zoo Surabaya, Old Prague zoo exhibit
    Monkeys : Ragunan zoo
    Bears : former Paris zoo exhibits, Ragunan zoo black bear exhibit
    African monkeys : Leipzig zoo
    Chimpanzees : Zoo du bois d'Atilly
    Parrots : Zoo Surabaya
    Civets : Ragunan Zoo, Zoo Melaka

4. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

I have seen quite a large bunch of bad zoo exhibits, and I can't recall a single zoo where not at least one exhibit should be improved. However, from my personal point of view, one of the greatest disappointments in the case of zoo exhibits or zoo buildings was Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo, in particular the Desert Dome, the Feline House and the husbandry of animals behind the scenes. The latter can also be said about San Diego Zoo and their zoo-architecture and behind-the-scenes-husbandry. So it's not just the "bad zoos", but also zoos with a good reputation that can have bad exhibits. And even new or rather newer zoo exhibits can be bad, considering from which point of view (animals, zookeepers, zoo vets, public, LA feng-shui experts...) to judge from. A good example: Munich zoo's newer animal houses (rhinos, felids, apes)-highly expensive to build and maintain, not optimal for animals & keepers, not fitting into the zoo landscape, not even nice to look at...
    @Pedro: the African monkeys at Leipzig are soon going to move out; their old enclosure is turned into an insect house.

Last edited: 1 Dec 2007
  5. Jaywa

Jaywa Active Member

Bear Bile Farming/Zoos within zoos

If you guys really want to see first hand what is happening to thousands of bears in Asia see the Animals Asia website. Jill Robinson is doing a fantastic job to rehabilitate bears that have been caged for years and used for the production of bile in chinese medicine. You will also see on Animals Asia website a visit the team made to a Chinese zoo where the lions and tigers are literally chained in the hot sun all day for visitors to have their photos taken with them.