Join our zoo community

Worst Zoo Exhbits to Photograph Animals In

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by d1am0ndback, 12 Mar 2017.

Tags:
  1. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

Sometimes it just seems like the zoo architect has something against you taking nice pictures when the exhibit is designed in such a way that taking nice pictures is either very difficult or impossible. '

What are some of the worst exhibits, in general, or specific ones, that have caused the most problems to taking pictures of the animals inside?

2. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

For me, I will have to go with exhibits that have guest attracting animals with small viewing space, such as the giant river otter exhibit in the Dallas World Aquarium, or most otter exhibits in general. Too many people cause it to be difficult and awkward to get a chance to take pictures.

Others are those that use thick glass, such as the Fort Worth Zoo's red wolf enclosure, that cannot get a decent focus on the wolves because the glass warps every single picture. (This also irritates me because the viewing is one large window, and people flock to the wolves in the rare chance you can actually find them).

And lastly, reflective curved glass. If you manage to deal with the glass warping your image, you still have to find a way to get through that reflection. Examples of this are several shark tunnels, such as the one the Dallas World Aquarium has.

3. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree with your examples. I am a fan of birds, but when not in a walk-through aviary, it can be annoying to try to photograph them. Usually with a bit of persistence, you can eliminate the wire from the photo, but the type of wire shown below is nearly unavoidable.
    It is best for keeping pests, especially rats, out, but makes for poor photos.

When it comes to fish, the hardest challenge for me is poorly lit tanks. While this can sometimes make for a cool effect, especially with sharks:
    It usually just makes for photos that are poor.

Then there are the exhibits you just have to wonder why they are like they are:
    Doubtful that any good photos will ever come of that. Coconut crabs can and are displayed under normal lighting conditions elsewhere (including at SeaLife chains), so why not here?

I didn't list specifics, but these styles (particularly the first two) are widespread and make photography for a number of species challenging.

d1am0ndback and sooty mangabey like this.
  4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You would think that glass would make for the best viewing (and photography), but as you mention it is difficult. I often find wire is far better than glass for photography. Even some glass panels that look clear to the naked eye create unsharp images in camera.

d1am0ndback likes this.