Join our zoo community

Worst Zoo in the U.S. You've Ever Been To

Discussion in 'United States' started by CarLover, 20 Mar 2019.

1. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

He said “I’ve never heard of that particular example”

2. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I used that as an example. I said I never actually heard of that particular circumstance.

3. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

ZooWorld in Panama City Beach, not disgustingly horrible aside from the NGSD enclosure, but its really bad.

4. MurphyFox

MurphyFox Well-Known Member

For me, probably either the Metro Richmond Zoo or ZooAmerica

5. CarLover

CarLover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Surprising choices. I personally like ZooAmerica but I can understand why people wouldn’t like it. I have not been to the Metro Richmond Zoo but I would like to go there.

TinoPup likes this.
  6. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@ZooBinh what is that?

7. NSU42

NSU42 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would guess New Guinea Singing Dog

8. Dyl0526

Dyl0526 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The worst zoo I've been to is the EcoTarium in Worcester, MA. Although this zoo and museum has gotten much better, I remember that around 8 or 9 years ago their polar bear exhibit wasn't very good. If I'm remembering correctly It was just a big concrete mess. I'm happy that the facility has gotten much better and is opening one of the biggest mountain lion exhibits in the US according to an article I just saw.

StoppableSan likes this.
  9. MurphyFox

I haven't really been to so many low-quality zoos as I try to avoid it. The reason I chose ZooAmerica was because of the exhibit quality (the Wolf exhibit was good though). Metro Richmond Zoo also had low-quality exhibits

10. MurphyFox

I don't not like ZooAmerica, I just think that they are way less good than other zoos in the country

11. Beastking04

Beastking04 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If you wanna count Lagoon's Wild Kingdom Train.

The "exhibits" there are awful! Animal Rights groups have complained about it for years.

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. timmychompchomp

timmychompchomp Well-Known Member

San Francisco and Santa Ana would be the worst zoos I have visited.

In an extremely unpopular opinion, I was not a big fan of the National Zoo. It was a combination of aesthetics, upkeep, cleanliness, guest accommodations, food, entry level employees, and some of the exhibits.

13. Dyl0526

Dyl0526 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If we are counting traveling zoos, at one point a long time ago I went to a traveling zoo called R W Commerford & Sons at least I believe it was this one. I remember them having a single capybara being stuck in a pen the size of a small closet and the elephants were not free roaming being stuck in a indoor small area. this was about 7 years ago so I could be remembering this wrong.

Yi Qi likes this.
  14. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Knoxville wasn't a great one for me. IDK if I'd call it horrific, but there were some really awful spots and old corn-silo caging that were outright depressing.

Cleveland's back end when I visited in 2006 or so was rough, too. The huge staircase to the clinical PCA building left a bad taste in my mouth for that visit.

Overall, I wouldn't call any zoo I've visited egregiously bad. I tend not to visit roadside attractions.

MurphyFox and StoppableSan like this.
  15. Imperator Furiosa

Imperator Furiosa Well-Known Member

Potter Park in Lansing, MI would probably be the worst I've personally visited. A lot of the exhibits are old, ugly, outdated concrete messes and seem far too small for the animals living in them. They certainly have the worst black rhinoceros, vulture, and porcupine exhibits I've ever seen.

16. AbileneBoy

AbileneBoy Well-Known Member

worst zoo I've been to: Bayou drive-thru in Alvin, TX. The actual drive-thru part wasn't too bad, the hoofstock at least had plenty of space, and of course the local trees and bayous to keep them cool in the summer, but the walk-through/petting area was ATROCIOUS. The macaws were being kept in a filthy cage and they literally had a children's basketball area with mommy and baby hog deer in it that kept having to dodge basketballs. the fawn kept getting separated from the mom and FREAKING out! in contrast to most of the hoofstock, the sitatunga family was shoved into a tiny little corner cage, apparently to keep them visible to the tram

17. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just wanted to share an update on Clay Center! They are now far from the worst zoo in the USA :) From facebook (Log into Facebook):

Bears:
    clay center bears 1.jpg

clay center bears.jpg

Wallabies:
    clay center wallaby.jpg

Capuchins:
    clay center capuchs.jpg

I'm still a bit terrified about them getting cheetahs, but they're really turning the place around and seem committed to the project.

18. AlmightyKingPrawn

AlmightyKingPrawn Well-Known Member

No pics and don't remember the name, but several times I have seen a traveling zoo at various Michigan fairs that was rather abhorrent. 3 full size alligators in a tiny concrete cell that wouldn't even hold one, a reticulated python that is unable to ever stretch out, maybe 5 ring tailed lemurs in a cramped cage with nothing but a single branch, overworked pony ride ponies with severely overgrown hooves, the list goes on. Can't decide what the worst part is: a bad childhood memory of their aviary where because I didn't buy food all the budgies, sun conures, and an Amazon attacked me until I fainted of stress and heat exhaustion, (they wouldn't give my mom a refund) the fact that I remember them having elephant rides, (its been a while since I've seen them though so I hope those elephants were siezed and are somewhere with actual mental stimulation) the fact that people always flock to these parts of the fair, (more so than the livestock shows, which are the only reason I ever come in contact with this "enterprise" in the first place) or the fact that they always post big signs claiming that they are legal within the USDA, making it even more sad cause now you know nothing you say will work.

As for permanent zoos, can't decide whether Indian Creek Zoo or Timber Creek Petting Farm were worse. The latter made me outright have a talk with my mom about looking for accreditation and not trusting a website that says it's a "sanctuary" (as opposed to some ladies backyard you have to pay 15 bucks to enter where there is no signage hence many other peoples confusion over what animals like the maras were, wet paint in the exhibits that turned a pig blue, a 10x10 foot kangaroo exhibit, and a lone nilgai getting gangraped by a swarm of intact pygmy goat bucks which the lady didn't give a darn about).

evilmonkey239 and StoppableSan like this.
  19. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

My list

Tregembo Animal Park - A bunch of concrete, corncribs, chainlink, and empty facilities.
    Waccatee Zoo - Absolutely terrible place but it has already been discussed
    Guam Zoo - Technically counts as the US. Really sad exhibits and abysmally dirty tanks for sharks and sea turtles

StoppableSan likes this.
  20. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

I would also like to add the now closed Cape Fear Serpentarium in Wilmington. This isn't due to the animal care but rather the fact it was a weird place. There were huge posters of government conspiracies at the entrance about "Uncle Sam wants you dead." Apparently I also just learned its owner was m*rderd?

This place was really strange.