Join our zoo community

Worst Zoo Misses, Regrets and Gut Punches

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by FunkyGibbon, 31 Mar 2018.

1. Grant Rhino

Grant Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I recently missed the Common Marmoset island at Kuala Lumpur Zoo! I love Common Marmosets, but I only had about 3 hours at the zoo, and I decided to skip some of the less interesting things such as the butterfly house. Little did I know that the island with the common marmosets was in the butterfly house!!! I'm still feeling hard done by over that one and it will take a while for me to get over it....

2. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Missing the opening of the new bird area (with Javan green magpie) in Chester zoo by three days.

3. Merintia

Merintia Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For me, the worst is my chronical bad luck with Echidnas. I have visited 6 or 7 zoos that keeps them, some several times, but the most I have been able to see was the back of one at Berlin Tierpark.
    I never have been lucky with Tuatara, either, in any of my four visits to Berlin Zoo.

4. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I myself went last year in the hope I was still going to see it not realizing that they had been long gone I was still glad I got to see the wildlife canyon before it got demolished yes may have been outdated but to see the rarer species of hoofstock would be better than the kangaroo walk though they are putting up I also missed the chance to see the greater 1 horned rhino on exhibit inward there

5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I missed the Sumatran rhino at Port Lympne. I had the chance to go but I thought he had already left, it turned out that he was still there. When I went the year after he had left.

Also missed mhorr gazelle at Twycross. Couldn't find them in the ungulate row, and a keeper I asked said they no longer had them. I believed her, but she was wrong - they were in a enclosure inside the minuature railway track.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  6. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Lemur Leaf Frog from Henry Vilas, Lesser Adjutant from Racine Zoo, and a variety of animals from Busch Gardens Tampa. I hope that the next times I visit these places I will get to see all these animals

7. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

When I visited the Berlin Zoo Aquarium back in 2006; I only spent about 2 hours total in there, and with two rather reluctant family members to boot. I can't wait to revisit it soon.
    And in London Zoo, at the end of January of 2017, when I visited last, I was massively let down by the unexplained absence of any southern tamanduas in the rainforest life building! And it was probably the animal I looked forward to seeing the most...!

8. katinakalinakaterina

katinakalinakaterina Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just missing out on seeing the first successful sun bear cub in the UK at Chester and the birth of a black rhino calf also at Chester.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  9. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Actually wildlife related, but I thought some members might find this funny. A few years ago, I found out that two months prior to when I was learning of this, a vagrant Ross' Goose was 1 mile from my house, and I didn't know about it. :(

evilmonkey239 likes this.