Join our zoo community

Zoo Wroclaw worth a visit?

Discussion in 'Poland' started by Teddy Dalton, 29 Jul 2016.

1. Teddy Dalton

Teddy Dalton Well-Known Member

I'll be going to wroclaw in september, I haven't booked my flights or hotel yet so wondering whether to add an extra day to see the zoo?

2. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah it is. From all of the Zoochatters who has been there said it's is very good. Also the Zoo has a long success of breeding the Malayan mouse deer!

3. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I would say definitely add an extra day to visit Wroclaw Zoo which is up there with Europe's best. You may even want to add two days, as you could easily spend more than a single day there!

Also, they do not have Malayan Mouse Deer, but Philippine Mouse Deer.

4. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They have just build the Afrykarium, one of Europe's biggest Zoo projects of the last decade? I saw the zoo before that and it was already worth it...

5. Teddy Dalton

Teddy Dalton Well-Known Member

Thanks, i'll definitley check it out. while i'm in poland i may just check out one or 2 other cities zoos as well, what would be the #2 recommendation?

6. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Though I do live in Poland, I haven't visited that many Polish zoos to give complete first-hand experience, however I believe after Wroclaw (which is undoubtedly the country's best zoo), the next best two are Poznan and Warsaw, probably followed by Gdansk (I have visited all four of those). Unfortunately the top three/four aren't particularly close to each other.

I think if you are going to Wroclaw your best bet for a second zoo to visit would be Opole. It is quite near to Wroclaw and although I haven't yet managed to get there myself, I have heard it's quite good. Depending on how much domestic travelling you are willing to do, and how much time you have, you may want to visit Warsaw or Poznan as well.

7. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Wroclaw is one of the very best zoos in Europe; its collection and its design are both superb (even if there are, still, one or two dusty corners).

I think Opole would possibly merit being described as very good! it has been almost wholly rebuilt in recent years, and as a consequence is a strong, modern, European zoo, maybe a little unexciting species-wise, but certainly a place worth seeing.

Personally, I like Warsaw very much indeed, both as a zoo and as a city. It has major flaws, but much to commend it.

A number of the zoos in Poland's other major cities - Plock, Lodz, Kraków, Katowice - have good elements, but, overall, are in need of improvement. In some cases this improvement is underway, in other cases it is promised, and in some cases it is unlikely.

8. Arek

Arek Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would recommend Opole and Poznań. Opole is completely rebuilt after the great flood and I can tell that this is the most beautiful zoo in Poland (Wrocław is definitely the best and most interesting). From Wrocław it’s only one hour journey by train and then 10-15 minutes by foot. Poznań has big area, some rarities, nice night house and elephant house. It’s 2 – 2 ½ hour by train from Wrocław, then good connection by tramway and bus straight to the zoo.