Join our zoo community

Would These Species work?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Cerastes, 29 Apr 2021.

1. Cerastes

Cerastes Member

I was theorizing and thinking about some exhibit ideas, and I wanted to see what you guys thought of the mixed-species enclosures I thought of. (This isn't meant to be US specific, more just wondering if they could work together)
    1. Gemsbok, Impala, Helmeted Guineafowl, and African Bush Elephant in a very large, likely 3+ acre exhibit with places for the smaller species to go to get away from the elephants
    2. Another large savannah mix, I decided to split it in two to make it easier for the animals to not be always near another species, while also not in a gigantic, hard-to-view for guests, enclosure. Eland, Roan antelope, Topi, Cape bushbuck, and Grant’s Zebra in just a large, expansive paddock. Giraffe, Blue Wildebeest, Cape Shelduck, and Spur-winged Goose, in a large exhibit, similar to the last one, but with a sizable river at the front
    3. Patas and Vervet monkeys in a large, netted top space, was thinking that maybe guests could onto an elevated path all the way around, with other monkey or hoofstock species around the path
    4. Just curious if Elephants and Zebra could mix
    5. African Grey Hornbills and a species of Kingfisher in a large, half water but with lots of branches, aviary
    6. Forest Buffalo, De Brazza's Monkey, Pink-Backed Pelicans, and Saddle-billed Storks in a large, island-type enclosure with lots of climbing space, plenty of room for the buffalo, and lots of water
    7. Allen’s Swamp Monkey, Crowned Guenon (or any type of small-to-medium guenons), Red River Hog, and African Clawless or Speckle Throated otter, Would be a very large congo exhibit, but less hoofstock and more variety, Could either have a large river in the front or could be a large island with a few smaller islands connected by rope. Would have underwater and above-exhibit viewing to allow for guests to see most or all of the exhibit
    8. Could a Sifaka/Lemur work with Radiated tortoises?
    9. Somali Wild Horse and Gerenuk in a large, desert-type paddock
    10. Another Large, desert type enclosure, this time more focused on the Sahara, Dromedary camel, Barbary stag, and Scimitar Horned Oryx
    11. A Rocky/Mountainous exhibit for Addax and Aoudad
    12. Could Agamas and Pancake tortoises be together?
    13. A very, VERY large Steppe exhibit for Indian Crested Porcupine, Przewalski’s horse, Saiga antelope, Urial, and Bactrian Camel, would the Porcupines digging affect the hoofstock species?
    14. Indian Elephant and Blackbuck/Indian Elephant and Malayan Tapir
    15. Golden Snub-nosed monkey and mandarin duck in a monkey island exhibit
    16. Tufted Deer, Mandarin Duck, crested Ibis, and Chinese pond heron
    17. Persian Onager, Arabian oryx, and Nubian Ibex, though I think a male onager may be a problem because of aggression
    18. Geoffrey’s spider monkey, American Flamingo, and Southern Screamer, yet another Monkey Island idea
    19. a Brocket/South American Deer species and Orinoco goose, since Orinoco geese are more terrestrial than most geese there wouldn't have to be quite as large of a water feature, though it would still be sizable
    20. Mountain Tapir and Yellow-tailed woolly monkey
    21. Inca Tern and Brown Pelican in a large netted or Indoor enclosure
    22. Red-legged and Guanay Cormorants, indoors
    23. Many Seabird ideas including Adelie penguin, king eider and Gentoo penguin; Southern Rockhopper Penguin and Atlantic puffin; Horned puffin and Common scoter
    24. a Night monkey species and Southern Hairy Armadillo, in a nocturnal House
    25. Geoffroy’s Tamarin and Lowland paca
    26. Chihuahuan Themed enclosures, species could be swapped around, Collared peccary, black-tailed jackrabbit, and Rio Grande Turkey, Pronghorn and Desert bighorn sheep
    27. Smaller, netted enclosures, could have Thick-billed Parrot and Texas Tortoise or Montezuma quail, Gambel’s quail, and greater roadrunner
    28. Large, netted waterbird aviary, Great blue heron, Cattle egret, American white pelican, Mallard, Yellow-crowned night heron, and White-faced ibis
    29. Yellow-footed rock wallaby and common wombat
    30. a New Guinean Hornbill species and Greater Bird-of-paradise

Last edited: 29 Apr 2021
  2. Cerastes

Cerastes Member

Feedback about the combinations that wouldn't work and possible replacements would be really appreciated!

3. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

1. Poor Zookeepers having to clean that up.
    2. I can see quite some potential for interspecific aggression there, especially in regard to the ungulates.
    3. Once again - quite the potential for interspecific conflicts.
    4. Same
    5. What does "half water" aviary mean? A flooded aviary?
    6. I can see this turn quickly into a muddy, algae infested moat.
    7. Remember the Bronx zoo Otter - langur accident?
    8. Yes - as long as the lrmurs don't molest the tortoises.
    9. I doubt that would end well for the gerenuks.
    10. Dromedary and oryx might work.
    11. I have a hard time envisioning an exhibit in a normal zoo that would work for both.
    12. Yes.
    13. Once again, too many species leading to increased interspecific aggression. The saigas would probably be the first to perish.
    14. Elephant and sasin yes.
    15. How to keep the Mandarin ducks inside without wing-clipping?
    16. Would have to be a big, well - structured aviary.
    17. You already answered that in regard to the onager.
    18. Yes.
    19. Wing-clipping?
    20. Might work.
    21. Yes.
    22. Why indoors? Avian malaria?
    23. Why mix arctic and antarctic species? Not a good educational message in that.
    24. & 25. Yes.
    26. Once again - interspecific conflict.
    27. Poor tortoises. ^^
    28. & 29. Might work.
    30. Might not end well for the BoP.

4. Cerastes

Cerastes Member

The Saint Louis zoo has a 3-acre elephant enclosure, so if it was divided up into 2 or 3 evenly sized it seems it could work

So dividing them more and getting rid of a few species would generally solve the issues? Still would have to have close monitoring for a long while like most mixed-species enclosures
    Also, looked into Cape Bushbuck a bit more, generally solitary, so they wouldn't be in the zoo at all
    Not gonna have Vervets either, just patas

Basically like a river portion with branches hanging over it for the kingfishers and a land area with vines and small live plants

Well I feel like with routine maintenance and filtration it could be done, but maybe remove the waterbirds?

Well langurs and Swamp Monkeys are pretty different, and I have seen that the San Diego Zoo keeps Swamp and Spot-nosed monkeys with Speckle-throated otters, and they seem to do well, so a smaller enclosure without the River Hogs should be capable of being good for all 3 species

So splitting them into smaller paddocks would be best, with possibly like Camels and Przewalski's horses together like in the former Wildlife Canyon

Orinoco goose really only fly iff being hunted by a predator and same with going into the water

So The Puffins and Eiders would work? and Penguins by themselves

I know that the Peccaries and Turkeys are kept in the El Paso Zoo together. Possibly the Jackrabbits and tortoises together to show how burrows help species, Desert Bighorns and Pronghorns separated, Peccaries could possibly work with Bighorn sheep if the sheep are given enough rock to climb the peccaries cant? if not they would be separate,
    So only Jackrabbits and Tortoises together
    Then the Parrots in a separate enclosure

What Species can exist with BoP? Pigeons?

Thank you so so so so much for the feedback btw

Last edited: 29 Apr 2021
  5. Cerastes

Cerastes Member

So Updated Enclosures Would Be:
    Gemsbok with Impala and Helmeted Guineafowl
    Roan Antelope with Topi
    African Bush Elephant
    Grant's Zebra
    Giraffe, Eland, Cape shelduck with spur-winged goose
    Patas Monkey
    African Grey Hornbill with Grey-headed Kingfisher
    Forest Buffalo with De Brazza's Monkey
    Pink-backed Pelican with Saddle-billed Stork (In an aviary)
    Allen's Swamp Monkey, Crowned Guenon with Speckle-throated Otter
    Red River Hog
    Coquerel’s Sifaka with Radiated Tortoise
    Dromedary Camel with Scimitar-horned Oryx
    Addax
    Aoudad
    Red-headed rock agama with Pancake Tortoise
    Indian Crested Porcupine
    Saiga antelope
    Urial
    Przewalski’s Wild Horse with Bactrian Camel,
    Indian Elephant with Blackbuck
    Malayan Tapir
    Golden Snub-nosed Monkey
    Tufted Deer
    Mandarin Duck, with crested Ibis, Chinese pond heron
    Arabian Oryx with Nubian Ibex
    Persian Onager
    Geoffrey’s spider monkey with American Flamingo, southern Screamer
    Red Brocket with Orinoco Goose
    Mountain Tapir with Yellow-tailed Woolly Monkey
    Inca Tern with Brown Pelican
    Red-legged and Guanay Cormorant
    Adelie penguin with Southern Rockhopper Penguin, Gentoo penguin
    Atlantic Puffin with Horned puffin and King Eider
    Three-striped Night monkey with Screaming hairy armadillo
    Geoffroy's tamarin with Lowland Paca
    Collared Peccary
    Black-tailed Jackrabbit with Texas Tortoise
    Montezuma Quail with Gambel's quail and Greater Roadrunner
    Pronghorn
    Desert Bighorn Sheep
    Great blue heron, Cattle egret, American white pelican, Mallard, Yellow crowned night heron, and White-faced ibis
    Yellow-footed rock wallaby with Common Wombat
    Greater Bird-of-paradise

6. the racoon has spoken

the racoon has spoken Well-Known Member

Not sure if I can really comment on anything else, but from what I understand saiga have very hard and specific care requirements so not sure if it would work.

7. Cerastes

Cerastes Member

Seems that Cologne zoo was able to keep them for more than 3 decades, so definitely a very difficult but possible species to be kept

8. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

In actuality, a few places do mix zebras and elephants. I think Omaha does occasionally, as well as the Monterey Zoo and the Dallas Zoo, so it is possible but would need to be very thought out.

9. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Mixing animals of similar size, social behavior and dietary needs increases the potential of interspecific rivalry and thus conflict.
    You would need a LOT of highly efficient and thus pricey filtration systems to make that work. Frankly, a waste of resources and money
    Just because a mix works in one zoo does not make it a given. Primates and mustelids is IMHO quite a tricky mix.
    The combination of camels and takhis has worked pretty well in several zoos. Not just in the USA...
    I wouldn't rely too much on the geese behaving as you wish them to do. Animals and birds in particular have the tendency to go off the script, so to speak, when it comes to escaping.
    Yes.
    Depends on the pigeons.
    Regarding saiga: there are several threads dedicated to why @the racoon has spoken is correct. Several zoos other than Cologne were able to keep saigas alive for a while. But except for Askania Nova and maybe some Kasachan institutes, nobody does today. Read the threads and you will see why.
    Do you have any practical experience in keeping large exotic animals together?

MonkeyBat and FBBird like this.
  10. ChunkyMunky pengopus

ChunkyMunky pengopus Well-Known Member