Join our zoo community

Would this exhibit work

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by longleat diego, 3 Sep 2016.

1. longleat diego

longleat diego Well-Known Member

I was thinking, people can swim with dolphins so can they climb with primates.
    What I mean is would it be possible to have one of those tree top adventure places with zip-lines etc but have small friendly primates encloused in the area where all the zip-lines are making their way through the canopy alongside humans.
    Would it be possible to open such exhibit or would it be too dangerous for the animals and/or the people

2. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member

Singapore zoo have orangutan exhibit like that,but not with zip line.

3. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

This would be a really bad idea. What if one of the monkeys (please tell me you weren't thinking of apes) were on the zip line and the person didn't/couldn't stop. This plays out in multiple scenarios in my head. 1) Panicked monkey attacks (<-good band name). 2) Monkey gets finger(s) sliced off.
    To cap it all off, the exhibit would have to be gargantuan in order to house the zip-line. The cost-benefit ratio wouldn't make it worth it.

4. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member

There have been several cases of squirrel monkeys jumping onto visitors. I am worried about what would happen if a monkey jumped onto a visitor hanging from a zipwire.

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking it would be a zip-line running through an enclosure but the trees either side were at a distance that the monkeys couldn't jump to the zip-line itself. Seems kind of pointless though.

6. longleat diego

I was thinking lemurs or squirrel monkeys

7. longleat diego

It might work in a large aviary with birds

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

got to ask, why? Is it a zoo or an amusement park? If the latter, why not do it over a lion enclosure or through a cage of animatronic pterodactyls?

9. longleat diego

Zoo I was just interested to see whether or not you guys think its feasible :p

10. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

How fast is one moving on a zip line? Is that conducive to even knowing there are small primates or birds around? IMO the exhibit would be pointless.

But as to feasibility, there are, as others have said, too many opportunities for disaster. Swimming with dolphins is a controlled encounter. Even in bad zoos, posing for pictures with tiger cubs or orangs is a controlled encounter. This is without control and with animals capable of injuring humans in an enclosure where the animals could very well get injured.
    So feasible? Sure. Sensible?