Join our zoo community

Would you contribute to a Zoo Wiki ?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simon Hampel, 13 Apr 2007.

?

Would you contribute to a Zoo Wiki ?

Poll closed 11 May 2007.
  1. Yes, I think it's a great idea

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Possibly - but I'm not sure

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. No - I'm not interested

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. What's a Wiki ?

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Just wanted a "show of hands" to indicate who would be interested in contributing to a Zoo Wiki ? The idea would be to create a knowledgebase of information about zoos and possibly the animals they contain.

Exactly what we create and how we do it would be largely up to the community ... we would need to decide what we would focus on - and how much information we want to gather (it could become huge !!).

If you don't know what a Wiki is ... have a good look at Wikipedia, in particular the About Wikipedia page

2. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Not wanting to put a damper on things, but: a) how relaible do you expect the information on here to be?; and b) do you think there would be many more contributions that wouldn't bea readily available elsewhere on the net? I have to admit, it seems like it could lead to a lot of duplication, possibly with unreliable information in it. As readers to this forum have probably gathered, I'm very opposed to people documenting "facts" sometimes without much real knowledge behind them. Much better to go to the source - one of the hundreds of reliable sites.

However, if you are looking for somethig for zoo freaks (and I mean that in a nice way!) who don't have anything else to do, then go for it!

And as a discussion forum for zoo freaks, I think this one serves it's purpose really well.

My 2 cents worth.

3. Simon Hampel

It all comes down to what we want the site to be.

There is something to be said for accumulating information in a single, easily navigable site - Wiki's are great at allowing you to cross-reference information in a way that other sites simply can't do. It's about adding value to the information ... not just duplicating it.

Perhaps we start with something pretty straight forward and document information about Zoos around the world ? There are plenty of Zoo databases around, but none of them are particularly comprehensive or up to date ... I figure if we all work together we can create something pretty special ... particularly if we get more contribution from people in other parts of the world.

4. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I have been researching the growth and status of the jabiru and lesser adjutant in captivity. I could e-mail it to you when I'm done

Last edited: 14 Apr 2007
  5. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i think a zoo wiki is a good idea - but maybe not in the "zoo" sense you guys are thinking about. more so, a user contributed online encyclopedia for all life on earth could be a definate interest. but as zoopro said, possibly innacurate and highly plagiarised. still their is very little info out there on more obsure species and the ability to source images and ifo worldwide seems appealing. i suppose wikipedia already encompases animals though anyway....

6. Writhedhornbill

Wikipedia is Ok. But wouldn't it be better to have more detailed info about species.

7. Simon Hampel

I'm thinking that we should focus on things we are good at ... for example - cross referencing animals and zoos.

I think it would be good to have a database of zoos and the animals they hold (or have held if we want to cover historical info too).

Something where you can easily answer the questions "which zoos have species X ?" and "what species does zoo Y hold ?"

This info wouldn't be covered by Wikipedia.

8. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

thats true, as long as we dont go putting on more educated stuff, like phase out species, which most now are known to us

lists of species, new exhibit, history, ad even a little future would be good, we start with austraian zoos and work around

9. Writhedhornbill

Yes, and go onto zoos that aren't ISIS registered

10. CiaranDUK

CiaranDUK Well-Known Member

I think it's a good idea, I would be willing to do Banham Zoo, Africa Alive!, Thrigby Hall and Amazona Zoo.

11. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to help with a Toronto Zoo section

12. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member 10+ year member 5+ year member

Same for one on Marwell.

13. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

to the last three posters....you do realise this thread is almost three years old?

14. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoochat is considerably bigger now than it was then. This project might be worth re-visiting?

15. kc7gr

kc7gr Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If someone builds it...

...I have no doubt we will all come. In droves. :D

Seriously, I would be happy to contribute what bird knowledge I've accumulated. I can also contribute some history on parks that no longer exist, or which have been so deeply (and badly) modified they may as well no longer exist.

16. Quartz92

Quartz92 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think, in my two cents worth, that the zoochat site should have a reference page for each zoo we have. An easy way to do this to take stress off you Sim, is to get people to do research on zoos and send you the info and you upload it as a reference page. You could have everything on it, there could be species, general info, etc. Therefore it becomes better then wiki in a way that no one will be able to change it.

17. CiaranDUK

CiaranDUK Well-Known Member

I did realise this thread is nearly three years old LOL! But ZooChat is a large and popular website! So... maybe the idea is worth revising?

18. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I just sort of summarized every exhibit on the Cincy Zoo wiki page. I think this was a great forum idea