Join our zoo community

Would you rather: Zoo Edition

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by pachyderm pro, 3 Nov 2016.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome zoochatters!!
    I thought it would be a fun little game to do Would you rather zoo and animals edition. Here is how his will work. Please answer the following questions by choosing one of the options below. You can only pick one option.

Would you rather, have no great apes, or no big cats?

Would you rather, have a Madagascar exhibit, or a desert exhibit?

Would you rather, have rare Australian mammals, or rare South American reptiles?

Would you rather, have a huge savannah exhibit, or a smaller Artic exhibit?

Would you rather, visit San Diego zoo, or San Diego Safari Park?

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

No Great Apes.
    Madagascar exhibit.
    Rare Australian mammals.
    Huge Savannah exhibit.
    San Diego Zoo.

Vision and LaughingDove like this.
  3. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No great apes
    Depends what is in the Madagascar exhibit? if it's just ring tailed & ruffed lemur - no, if it was Indri , Sifaka, mouse lemur, aye aye or Fanaloka, ring tailed mongoose etc then yes
    Rare Australian mammals
    Arctic (assuming it will have polar bears?)
    San Diego Zoo probably

Last edited: 3 Nov 2016
  4. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

I would choose the same options as TLD in all cases.

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No big cats at all *yawns*
    Don't care (if they are of equal quality)
    Rare Aussie mammals (provided platypus are provided :))
    Don't care
    Zoo (for history)

6. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No big cats. Big cats have a bit more of an "ABC" feel in my opinion (there are certainly more zoos keeping lions and tigers than even the more common great apes), and I have terrible luck with leopards and snow leopards - I haven't managed to see snow leopards in half of the zoos I've visited that kept them, and leopards also often hide themselves when I pass by their exhibit. And unlike many Zoochatters, I don't have anything against chimps.

With no information, I choose a Madagascar exhibit. But it depends. I really like well-done Madagascar exhibits with many species, but I'd rather go to Burgers' Desert than see a standard walkthrough exhibit with ring-tailed lemurs.

Rare Australian mammals. I'm more interested in mammals than reptiles, and I've experienced with several reptiles that I didn't even realize they were rarities until I checked them at Zootierliste.

Again, if I have no information, I choose the huge savanna exhibit. And again, it depends. I'd rather see something like Eismeer in Hagenbeck (though it probably can't be defined as "small") than a pen with only giraffes and plains' zebras.

San Diego Zoo. But if I ever go to San Diego, I'll try my best to visit both collections.

7. oldrover

oldrover Well-Known Member

Sorry, are you saying that many people here don't like chimps?

8. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well, "don't like" is a strong expression (I presume most Zoochatters like the far majority of animals), but chimps are fairly often brought up in threads about least favorite zoo animals or animals one tends to skip while visiting a zoo.

9. oldrover

Thanks. I thought it was just me who felt that way.

10. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Chimpanzees are my least favourite mammal species (would it be too misanthropic to say they are my least favourite non-human mammal species? ;) ). Can't even explain why - I just don't find them particularly appealing or interesting, though there are certainly many things about them that are worthy of interest. Orangs are may favourite great apes, but overall great apes don't do much for me. I quite often don't notice their absence if a zoo doesn't have them (took me until the second time I went to Tierpark Berlin to really register that their apes were strictly gibbon-only), unlike big cats (or giraffes, or elephants, or bears...).

Small(er) primates are much more my bag!

11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This stork only wants to carry lighter loads, great ape deliveries are obviously too much trouble ;)

Zygodactyl and Maguari like this.
  12. oldrover

Exactly how I feel about it. I love gibbons, orangs and gorillas. But chimps although they're fascinating in so many ways, I just can't warm to them.

13. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

Would you rather, have no great apes, or no big cats?
    No great apes *yawn*

Madagascar exhibit. I live in the desert so a desert exhibit makes no sense for "my" zoo

Would you rather, have rare Australian mammals, or rare South American reptiles?
    Rare South American reptiles

It would depend on what would go into the Arctic exhibit

I've been to both and both have their pros and cons. I like both of them mostly equally but the WAP a bit more because of their cheetahs so I will go with that.

14. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My Answers

Keep big cats and phase out great apes.

I choose a desert exhibit vs a Madagascar exhibit. There is great potential to be made out of an area such as the Arabian Peninsula or the Outback of Australia that is overshadowed in my opinion.

Rare South American Mammals for me. Herper for life.

Huge Savannah exhibit. Always a crowd favorite.

I'd go to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park if I had the chance because of the space and landscape and focus on the unique chaparral biome.

15. DragonDust101

DragonDust101 Well-Known Member

No Apes
    Desert Exhibit
    Rare South American Reptiles
    Huge Savannah exhibit, its hard to pull off an arctic exhibit unless you are in a cold climate.
    The Zoo, for no particular reason.

16. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Great Apes, No Big Cats
    2nd question depends on species: if the Madagascar exhibit is just some ring-tailed lemurs, desert. If the desert exhibit is just a building with some reptiles and plain-looking birds in it, then Madagascar. Aye-aye = automatic Madagascar win.
    Rare Australian mammals, as I'm not sure what constitutes rare South American reptiles
    Huge Savanna exhibit; Walruses in Arctic exhibit could make it a toss-up
    SDWAP. I have been to the Zoo; it is a good zoo and were it not for the admission price I would go back, but I haven't experienced SDWAP and I'd really love to.

17. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

1. No Great Apes
    2. Madagascer Exhibit
    3. Rare Australian Mammals (Extremely difficult question)
    4. Small Artic Exhibit
    5. San Diego Zoo (I haven't been to eithier so I just picked the zoo)

18. Viridis

Viridis New Member

have no great apes, or no big cats?
    No Big Cats. Use the "big cat money" towards incredible great ape exhibits.

Madagascar has a desert, so Madagascar. Lots of reptiles, fish, mammals, birds, etc. that would make amazing exhibits.

Rare South American reptiles. Easy.

Define "huge" and "smaller". Is the Savannah exhibit 10 acres, and the arctic 9 acres?
    Do you mean African savannah? or South American? North America? Asia? I think I huge Cerrado exhibit would be incredible, but an african exhibit would bring in more visitors; and few people know American savannahs exist.

I haven't been to either, so can't make that call... So both.

19. Zygodactyl

Zygodactyl Well-Known Member

No big cats, but I'd be fine with a zoo which had neither big cats no great apes. Except for the bonobos at the San Diego Zoo, neither one is a draw for me.

Madagascar, definitely Madagascar.

Do you mean "rare in captivity" or "rare in the wild"? Either way, my answer is rare Australian mammals. assume the first means I get to see quolls, bandicoots, and bettongs while the second means I get to see things like bilbies, numbats, and Leadbeater's possums.

Smaller arctic exhibit. Savannas just don't interest me very much (most zoos seem to have them), while the tiny polar section was one of my favorite parts of the Montreal Biodome in large part because I got to see puffins up close.

I've already been to the San Diego Zoo, and my answer is still "San Diego Zoo." The aviaries at the zoo are amazing, plus they have bonobos and kagu and keas and New Caledonian parakeets (and I couldn't find the last two when I was there the first time). Safari parks focus on animals that interest me rather less.

20. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

No great apes
    A tough one but I'll go for desert
    Aussie mammals all the way
    Depends on the savannah exhibit, if it's just hoofstock then Arctic all the way but throw in small mammals, birds and carnivores then savannah for the win
    San Diego zoo