Join our zoo community

Would you support this??

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by NAmericanProjec, 26 Apr 2014.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I really am confused how you arrive at such statements..... Please try reading what I actually wrote!

2. NAmericanProjec

NAmericanProjec Member

Thank you all for giving me feedback positive and negative and thank you for the support for those of you who do support my idea and granted parts of it may be crazy but I'm not even out of high school yet so some of my ideas may seem far fetched but remember the most successful business men had a crazy idea went with it and now they make millions so just keep open minds no matter how crazy something may sound. :) Thanks so much!
    NAProject

3. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are plenty of things done by our ancestors that we would now consider 'bad'. Maybe the world would be in a better postion if humans had not tasted meat!

I'm not against subsistance hunting for meat in some circumstances. I am against any kind of trophy hunting. Our ancestors certainly didn't waste their time going out hunting just to stick a head up on the wall of the cave.

4. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Only some of the most successful business men had crazy ideas, the vast majority used good business sense. And for successful business man that evolved from a crazy idea, there were literally thousands of other crazies that had absolutely no success at all.

:p

Hix

5. Taisha

Taisha Well-Known Member

In the end it was never a question about animals but all about money. :rolleyes:

6. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Running a zoo would be about more than just money. An aquarium that allows people to pay to ride on the back of an orca, or a zoo that lets people pay to pet adult white tigers, might make a lot of money from that, but, there are reasons that zoos don't usually do those kinds of things. Even if no one gets mauled, there are ethical and public image matters to consider. Whether or not your potential zoo should run canned hunts would really depend on how you want the facility to be viewed.

7. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Most disabled hunters I know prefer to hunt animals in the wild and not on canned hunting preserves.

8. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Depends on the disability and their mobility.

The other point Karkee bob was making was what is canned hunting.

Stocking a pond for fishing is an example of canned fishing. If the fish are in a small tank their chance of being caught is very high. If it is a small dam the fish have a better chance. If the fish are stocked into a large lake, they are in a natural state and have a better chance than the fisher, but they are still stocked for catching so is it still canned fishing.

Hunting is the same. An enclosure of several thousand acres of forest and mountains gives the animals the same chance as in nature, making it hunting, while if it was a flat bare paddock of 10 acres, the animals has no chance of escape making it shooting not hunting.

There needs to be a definition of canned as there is a big difference between situations.

9. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So by that definition, if someone was fishing in any lake as long as there are fish in it, that is a "canned" fishing experience ? I beg to differ.

10. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Only if you twist that definition by ignoring half of it. Or don't know what "stocked" means.

People do not seem to be reading what is being written in this thread, this being just the latest example.

Where ever you stand on whatever issue, please read threads and posts carefully, it helps produce an informed discussion which benefits everybody.

11. elefante

Animals behind a fence are not in a natural state and do not have the same likelihood of escape as animals in the wild. Fish in a small pond I will agree with, however most areas with dams are still big lakes where the fish live in natural conditions. And as I said before, the disabled hunters I know would not hunt in a preserve.

12. NAmericanProjec

NAmericanProjec Member

So you are meaning to say hunting on a farm is a canned hunt because the animals are behind a fence?? Im not talking about a massive fence they cant jump just something to mark my property line.

13. elefante

Hunting on a farm where animals can jump the fence is not canned hunting. However this can be tricky with pronghorn since they can't jump a fence and have to go under.

14. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've been trying to comprehend how to respond to this post exactly. I am no expert on these issues by any means. But I do hunt, own a large amount of land, raise cattle/bison, have a disabled father, and have an interest myself in hoofstock. So I do have more knowledge in all the specific areas of your question. I don't think your idea makes any sense at all. There are already large profitable hunting ranches in West Texas and other places. Some of these cater to handicapped hunters. Some of these are large ethically fair ranches while of course some are canned hunts. There are also facilities all over the US for disabled hunters like my father hunting domestic species.

I've talked to several on here at times about converting a good deal of our land from beef/bison production to raising exotic hoofstock. In order to contain Oryx, Kudu, etc I would have to build fences and perimeters in accordance to USDA/AZA regulations. But any of these animals would be pets. While I own a good amount of land, it isn't enough to where you could have any type of ethical hunting of exotic species behind fences. But none of these animals would be hunted. After all we don't go shoot our bison.