Join our zoo community

Would Zootierliste work for Australia or New Zealand? Or the USA?

Discussion in 'Websites about Zoos & Animal Conservation' started by Jurek7, 12 Apr 2021.

1. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am wondering whether zootierliste, an excellent database of zoo animals in Europe, maintained exclusively by enthusiasts, could work elsewhere? Zootierliste is usually reliable and often very quickly updated for large animals and big zoos. Outside German-speaking countries there are some inaccurate entries, generally smaller animals from not very popular or unusual species, which are not present for several years.

Would there be enough members to report on zoos in Australia and New Zealand, which have relatively few zoos? Or the USA? I guess for large zoos, although small roadside zoos would have a delay. However small zoos usually have few new or exciting animals. Or Canada?

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Australia and New Zealand essentially already have their own database - well-maintained and frequently updated threads here on ZooChat. I think it would absolutely work for the US, although it would never be as up-to-date as Zootierliste. I think that's okay, though.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

A North American version of Zootierliste has been discussed repeatedly, e.g. Zoo Inventory for North America (American Zootierliste)?

For Australasia it could work in theory but there are very few Australasian Zoochatters and only a tiny proportion of the animal collections are ever visited by them. There are full collection lists stickied in the forums for NZ and Australia - there are hundreds of collections. The majority of collections are not part of the ZAA, so there is no way to compile full and accurate species lists for most of them without actually visiting the collections, and in Australia the distances are vast. That's why in the country species lists for NZ and Australia there are loads of common species with no specific holding data (i.e. mostly it is only the "proper zoo animals" which have full holdings because they are well documented in themselves), and why there are no lists for the Australian native birds or for the Australian or NZ native herptiles.

TinoPup likes this.
  4. Haliaeetus

Haliaeetus Well-Known Member

For a few months, Zootierliste displays the species lists of zoos of some Asian and Pacific countries (Taiwan, Singapore, and New Zealand).
    It's interesting but I don't see the reason why these extra-European countries (and only them) appear on ZTL [I don't take in count the numerous Middle Eastern collections, historically more connected to Europe].

5. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

They are countries that have at least one EAZA member located there. :)