Join our zoo community

Zoo Wroclaw Wroclaw zoo news 2020

Discussion in 'Poland' started by Antoine, 20 Apr 2020.

1. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Memorable choice to honor your 200th zoo .And you been rewarded to see the Red-and-White Flying Squirrel in the middle of the day. As far as I know, this doesn't happen very often. Is the Hammerheaded Fruit Bat aviary in the Congo Rainforest ?

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Any photographs of the fruitbats and the Antsangy?

When I visited (almost exactly) a year ago with @ShonenJake13 we spent about half an hour picking through the baboon troop and working out what each individual was - I think our eventual conclusion was that there was (at the time anyway) a single Yellow remaining, perhaps 6 or 7 Olive, and everything else was a hybrid.

Well, I say "we" - it was pretty much all down to Jake's abilities!

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Did all the bats look like the one pictured in the Wroclaw Zoo gallery? Because it doesn't look like a Madagascar Flying Fox to me, compared to photos of wild bats. I imagine you have seen them in Madagascar?

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Well, they were all wild-caught in Madagascar, so..... :p

5. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would be interesting in seeing a picture of the Yellow one. There was a lot of Olive on my visit and some hybrid baboons that looked more like Olive than Yellow...

I do have pictures of the Madagascar Fruit Bat and the Antsangy, but the Hammerheaded ones were impossible to photograph properly

I haven't seen these in the wild, my boat trip to an island with them got cancelled. But I see what you mean, as they have less white on their belly than in some of the pictures (but not with others...). They do however look completely different from any other fruit bat I have seen and given the origin of the animals is a guy that imports loads of stuff from Madagascar, so I don't doubt their origin, will upload another picture of them soon.

6. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Your 200th zoo. Gratulations!:) Maybe I can handle it that it will also my 200th... although I presume this goal will not be reached before next year:(

7. lintworm

I have uploaded a whole bunch of pictures of the Afrykarium and the rest of Wroclaw zoo and thought I would illustrate why the Afrykarium doesn't work for me. To do that I will compare the Red Sea tank of Wroclaw with the Lagune tank in Burgers' Zoo. Both are the first tank of the respective aquaria and while the tank in Wroclaw is bigger, it's design is very flawed. If you look on the maps of the respective building, the lay-out is extremely similar, with a path winding around 270 degrees of the tank.

First Wroclaw:

[​IMG]
    You descend slowly underwater with the first views into the tank, on the left out of view is a beach with some tortoises.

[​IMG]
    Once completely submerged you get a good first view into the tank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Then there are multiple more viewing windows into the tank

Compare that to the Lagune in Burgers'

[​IMG]
    The journey here also starts above water

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    you then descend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and underwater there are several viewing windows as well

Most importantly is that in the Burgers' Zoo tank is that there is 0 cross-viewing between the 6 different view points, only when you start recognizing certain rocks / fake corrals one starts to notice where one is respective to the other viewing windows. In fact all the rock work has been placed in such a way to give a sense that this tank is much larger than it is and only at closer inspection it becomes clear that a clever landscape architect has fooled you.

Secondly the tank in Burgers' Zoo has much better lighting, whereas the Wroclaw tank feels like a dark cavern. And third there is a huge difference in structuring the tank, in Wroclaw there is no substrate, just concrete on the bottom and there is very little coral theming present at all. To me this is the prime example of why I don't think Afrykarium is a great buidling. When building with such a budget and size, one should expect that a landscape architect was involved that knows his stuff and have people that give love to the building.

There are a whole bunch of new pictures from the Wroclaw zoo here:
    Zoo Wroclaw - ZooChat

8. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I very much enjoyed looking through your photos, looks like the kind of zoo I'd need at least two days to get around.

Antoine and Rayane like this.
  9. lintworm

I could comfortably see everything in one day, but there are enough reasons to spend two days here. The zoo has one of the most diverse collections in Europe (only a bit lacking in birds) in a set of enclosures that has everything from bold modern architecture to monumental buildings. There is the whole range of good, bad and ugly, as the zoo is very much in transition (currently the bird house is being completely renovated). Well worth a look

Antoine and Ned like this.
  10. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Balabac mousedeer born at Wroclaw :)

JurassicMax, Therabu, Antoine and 4 others like this.
  11. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last edited: 11 Dec 2020
    Chatt Wolf, Therabu and Antoine like this.