Join our zoo community

Zoo Wuppertal Wuppertal Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'Germany' started by vogelcommando, 25 May 2018.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member

New species for Wuppertal : From Zoo de la Haute-Touche - France a group of 6 Kiangsi dholes arrived :).

Kifaru Bwana and FunkyGibbon like this.
  2. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member

I have checked the website of Zoo Wuppertal and there are not statement that these six male dholes are from Kiangsi (Jiangxi)? In fact although Jiangxi Province is the last place in southeast China where there MAY be still dholes, no information showed that there are dholes exported to other countries... Thus may be the dholes are still Qinghai dholes?

3. lintworm

lintworm Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

See the post above, the Dholes came from a French zoo.. All Dholes in Europe are of the lepturus subspecies, which in German is called Kiangsi-Rothund (Chinese dhole in English according to the zootierliste).

4. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member

I have checked the French zoo website, too, but I can't find the animal info...... So it is interesting that most dholes in European zoos are descent of several dholes from Qinghai Province, which locates in the NW part of China and near Tibet; but they are given a name of a SE subtropical province of China :) And in fact there are some differences between the dhole north and south of the Yangtze River :confused:

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member

Wait....Jiangxi have dhole!?

6. baboon

baboon Well-Known Member

Notice the word "May" :(At least there were dholes a dozen of years ago. And the last record of dholes in SE China are from Jiangxi。

Kifaru Bwana likes this.