Join our zoo community

Yacare Caiman in USA

Discussion in 'United States' started by CMP, 27 Oct 2020.

1. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Are there any Yacare Caiman in the United States? The only one I could find was in Connecticut's Beardsley zoo, and St.Augustine does not list them, possibly because even though they claim to have every caiman, the Yacare was disputed at one point, but not anymore I believe. I find it hard to believe they are only in one connecticut zoo.

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

St. Augustine certainly had them on show (and labelled as yacare) when I was there in 2013; a lot could have happened in seven years though.

3. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to the crocodilians thread, there's 4 places - Beardsley and St Augustine, plus Alligator Adventure and Reptile Lagoon, both in South Carolina. Crocodilians in American Zoos

Kifaru Bwana, CMP and Jungle Man like this.
  4. CMP

CMP Well-Known Member

Thanks, didn't realize there was that thread. Also it does appear St. Augustine has it :)

TinoPup likes this.
  5. imaginarius

imaginarius Well-Known Member

St. Augustine’s whole reputation is staked on one thing: their claim to having the only 100% complete collection of living crocodilians in the world, so of course they have them. Not to say it’s not a great facility, but you can bet that if any new subspecies of any croc/gator/caiman/gharial are ever officially recognized or identified, they would be the first to add them to their park. :)

Jungle Man and CMP like this.