Join our zoo community

Twycross Zoo Yellow-throated Martens

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Maguari, 28 Nov 2010.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Highlight of a rather frosty Twycross visit today - two very young looking Yellow-throated Martens. Visible (but not yet labelled) in the old swamp monkey enclosure at the end of the Brancker Waterway bit (I've attached a photo of the exhibit).

Sorry for the very poor quality of the photo - was fighting failing light and failing camera batteries!

Very nice additions - first time I've seen these in the UK. I presume they are the same Northern subspecies (Martes flavigula aterrima) as in other European zoos.

Attached Files:

2. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Great news! Will have to make a trip down to Twycross to see these... Maybe after the cold weather has passed though! :p

3. pinkback

pinkback Well-Known Member

Beautiful animals and we may gradually see more of them. A couple of European zoos are beginning to have some success in breeding them and they are now being monitored by the EAZA small carnivore TAG, eventually they may be an EEP species if the population coninues to grow.:)

4. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's great news and so nice to see the species in the uk! They certainly are one of the most beautiful mustelid species! :)

5. Maguari

Certainly are. And a brilliant exhibit species - almost always active.

For the 'World Primate Centre', the carnivore collection is increasingly juicy - considering they already have species including Aardwolf, Arabian Striped Hyaena, Bat-eared Fox and Dhole.

6. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It certainly is a nice collection! There are a number of amazing small carnivore species arriving in the uk in the last few years with marbled polecats, tayra, yellow throated martin, owstons palm civet, narrow striped mongoose, wolverine, smooth coated otter, giant otter, Palawan binturong and a pure costa rican sub species of White nosed coati! :)

7. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

And with your help hopefully some more marbled polecats:cool:

Is there any sort of collection plan that this import is part of, i.e is it part of a Siberian/Russian exhibit that is being planned, as lovely an addition to any collection they are, to me seems there is no logic here:confused:

8. Maguari

You're not a Twycross regular, are you? :D

There's not often a great deal of logic. Why build an enormous aviary you can only see from the toilets? Or spend £1m on a pathway? Or put Snow Leopards as a showcase for the World Primate Centre? Or, indeed, import Arabian Striped Hyaenas?

A lot seems (to me, from the outside) to be just on a whim - sometimes it works out well - it's certainly nice to see the hyaenas and martens there.

9. Red Panda

Red Panda Well-Known Member

I visited the zoo yesterday, my first time there and the Yellow-throated Martens were very playful and seemed to want to get out of their enclosure. They were nice to see, but wish we could have got closer to them :)

Also I was a bit disappointed that the Aardwolf never made a show, but I saw the Bat Eared Foxes get fed and loved the Snow Leopard enclosure. Im sure Chester Zoo want to do something similar with the elephants.

All in all an enjoyable day :)

10. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I hope not!!!!

11. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Sorry to bring up this old thread but if some of you were wondering were they came from then they came from Munster Zoo.

12. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw some of these at berlin tierpark recently and they were really handsome animals and extremely active. I spent ages trying to get a photo but had to give up as they never stood still.
    They seemed much larger than I had expected and bigger, I thought, than the pine martin, which I have seen in the wild.

13. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is definitely becoming a welcome trend in UK and Irish Zoos that animals such as the above plus AArdwolves, Tayras, small cat, dog and fox species, Binturongs, Anteaters etc. are being exhibited.

14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I do not think it is such a bad thing to diversify for Twycross Zoo yet still have the brand of Primate Zoo of the World (but as some of us agree that latter brand really needs some great investment to make most of the primate exhibits and enclosures more challenging for both inhabitants and visitors alike ... :DLOL:( :eek: :rolleyes:

15. Snowleepard

Snowleepard New Member

Do twycross still have the yellow throated martens. As I went recently and didn't see them

16. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They still have them,just because you didn't see them doesn't always mean something has left Twycross again.In fact all being well they should be going on-show in the old wildcat enclosure,once it has been modified to suit the Martens!

17. dogman

dogman Active Member

I agree with whats been said but would like to see more places keep them better like reepark safari in ebeltoft, saw the enclosure before got close enough to see what lived in it and expected wolverine or similar but was pleasantly surprised when it was the martins and they actually had room to act as they should, they were everywhere up 60ft beech trees, digging in the river bank etc, great to see and not just side to side head tossing like when they are in another crap aviary .

Attached Files: