Join our zoo community

Zion Wildlife Gardens yet another big cat accident at Zion

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Chlidonias, 27 May 2009.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

just released about 20 minutes ago:
    Mauling at wildlife park - national | Stuff.co.nz

2. Chlidonias

and this right now:
    Mauling at wildlife park - national | Stuff.co.nz

3. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

It was only a matter of time!

4. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Everyone knows that this park is a disgrace, and yet why is it still able to remain open to the public? I never read anything positive about the establishment.:)

5. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

6. Chlidonias

some interesting comments in the link above, at the moment probably about equal between people who think the park should be closed and those who think Busch is a legend. Most of them are commenting on such an "endangered" tiger being shot (it was one of those extinct white tigers :)). A couple of my favourites:
    I like this one too just because its so baffling :)

7. Chlidonias

the incident was just on the tv news, I'll see if I can put a link to the video when it comes on the tv3 website later. The tiger was one of the white tigers, possibly the same one that attacked Demetri Price earlier this year (on the news the reporter said something like "3 news understands it is the same tiger..."). Of the eight tourists that witnessed the attack, at least some were children. The tiger was shot after the attack (not during). The man killed was senior cat keeper Dalu Mncube who appeared on the tv series many times.

Last edited: 27 May 2009
  8. Jarkari

Dalu seemed to be the parks head keeper, was responsible for the guided tours and interactions. Maybe they will actually properly open the park to the public instead of charging out the arse for private tours because of this.

9. Jarkari

There have been a number of concerns with this place and I wouldn't be surprised if this led to the park being temporarily shutdown, if not permanently.

10. Shere_Khan

Shere_Khan Member

This is all very upsetting.

As soon as I heard the news I thought: Craig Busch will say that this wouldn't have happened if he was still in charge of the park. And... lo and behold... this is exactly what he is implying.

The fact is, big cats are not domesticated. They are wild animals, and no amount of "training" will overcome this fact. There is no reason for keepers to be inside enclosures with big cats. This attack was inevitable, and, in my opinion, a direct consequence of the culture at Zion which was established by Craig Busch - namely one of bravado and machismo. I believe his need to physically interact with big cats is ego-driven, and is definitely not necessary in order to deliver a message of conservation.

I sincerely hope that this incident does not lead to his re-instatement as director. What Zion needs is a trained zoo professional who can implement industry approved safety protocols and improve animal welfare standards, while delivering an accurate conservation message.

But I doubt this will happen...

11. Chlidonias

here's the 3news story. If you go to the link you can watch the video of the news piece
    3 News > Home > Story > 'Hero' mauled to death at Lion Man's Zion lion park

12. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

almost as if the cats are allies with the media, just as something happens with Craig Busch himself, the media are all over it, then there is an incident at Zion. This is just from where I'm standing from though.

Poor guy though. R.I.P

13. Chlidonias

Glen Holland is former director of Auckland Zoo and has been in the zoo world a long time. When he was appointed to his position at Zion I had hoped that such changes as you refer to would take place but nothing happened. I assume he is constrained in what he can do by Patricia Busch.

14. Chlidonias

Exactly. Well said.

15. madbushfarm

madbushfarm Well-Known Member

The death of Dalu was completely un-necessary. Why were they in an enclosure with two loose tigers in the first place. My opinion is the hands on methods is nothing short of a travesty and should be banned in New Zealand. The lack of regard for the predatory nature of these large cats by Zion was reinforced a couple of weeks earlier with Dalu taking two young Lions to New Plymouth to be 'Living Artworks' in a picture theatre. Zion Wildlife Gardens are nothing but a facility for using animals as entertainment for a commercial gain. Conservation? Inbred Tigers isn't conservation it's the genetic destruction of a species more like.

My sympathies go to Dalu's family for their loss.

On the other side of thing yes some certain forums are of course saying "If Craig was there this wouldn't have happened" Village Idiots. They think the animals there are cuddly toys. No they're predators as of natural selection.

16. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Of course, if Craig had been there, this might have happened six months ago.

Hix

17. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

What annoys me is the white tiger bullsh*t that keeps getting spotued from this place. I'm on an animal managament course and there are loads of people who know a lot about animals, and yet some of the still believe they're a critically endangered subspecies due to hype from places like this. Is he not in charge of the park anymore?

18. GorillaBoy

GorillaBoy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

iparently craig busch has been suspended from the park because he was mistrating the animals and i not sure its correct but he threatened to hit a royal white tiger with a fire extinguisher.

19. Chlidonias

the Lion Man threads are listed here Zion Wildlife Gardens » New Zealand » ZooChat
    you can read about the reasons for his dismissal and subsequent court appearances

20. Chlidonias

please don't start rumours, we don't want this thread to have to be locked like some of the other ones had to be